Ditch Witch Mini-x

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by turfquip, Oct 20, 2005.

1. turfquip

turfquip LawnSite Senior Member

Saw these at Expo, played around with one for a while. The styling reminded me of Yanmar. Anybody know anything about these? I know the Ditch Witch 'brand' is well respected and established...

Then, in general terms regarding these micro and mini machines,
    How much horsepower would it take to dig out say... a 16" oak tree stump in Midwest hardpan clay...and let's say you had about 30 minutes or less to get it done?

2. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

You could do it with a 30 horse mini...I've dug many stumps out. I can't speak for the DW Mini-X's, but we own three ditchwitch plow/trenchers, and they are incredibly well built.

3. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

You could probably dig that out in 30 mins. depending on how far the roots went out from the stump itself.

4. turfquip

turfquip LawnSite Senior Member

Would the 17 horse Kubota dig it out with more time?

5. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

A 17 HP excavator is a powered shovel. They're almost useless unless space is REALLY an issue. There isn't many places we can't put a 7,500 pound 5 foot wide machine with zero tail swing.

6. iowacatman

iowacatman LawnSite Member

Ditch Witch mini is made by a company in Italy. Not a bad looking machine. Talked to a DW rep last month, said they were a little slow getting off the ground with distribution and sales.

7. r1rage

r1rage LawnSite Member

They are actually made by Komatsu especially for DW. Not italian made cause if they were, they would painted Ferrari Red!

8. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

If theres a tag on the machine that says "Charles Machine Works", then its a good ol made in USA ditchwitch.

9. Tigerotor77W

Tigerotor77W LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Germany

Komatsu makes the Ditch Witch mini excavators. DW makes its own XT850 (the backhoe loader machine.)

10. Bill Eh

Bill Eh LawnSite Member

Basically that's what all excavators are. Powered shovels. Some are bigger and some are smaller and each is matched better for certain tasks. I have a 17 HP Kubota. I've never dug a stump of that dimension or tree species so I can't add much in terms of how long it would take but I know the 17 HP will do the job. It will dig a hole 7 feet deep and 16 feet across without any trouble. The break out force is about 1/2 or less than the 7000# machine so you can't break as big a root. I'd like to hear others experiences time wise with a 17 HP machine on a stump that size.