ditch witch XT1600

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by bearmtnmartin, Apr 14, 2008.

1. bearmtnmartin

bearmtnmartin LawnSite Senior Member

hi, looking for feedback on an XT1600. I'm thinking of buying one, but I don't have much to go on because I don't think there are too many out there yet. Anyone have any hours one one?
    Thanks, Martin

2. cpaum

cpaum LawnSite Member

What are you going to use it for? How much digging do you do?

3. Digdeep

Digdeep LawnSite Bronze Member

IMHO I think they are a neat concept but they are a skidsteer/mini-ex wannabe. Wannabe a skid steer but don't quite cut it and wannabe a mini-ex but don't quite cut it. I think they are slow, too underpowered to run attachments efficiently, and expensive for what you can do with them.

4. cpaum

cpaum LawnSite Member

Why don't you just go with a skid steer?? There are so many products out there that you can buy that will out dig the machine. Save your money like digdeep said.

5. bearmtnmartin

I install and repair septic systems. I need a machine that will dig and load and carry. I use a rubber tire hoe for that right now, and I like the fact that the XT 1600 is pretty much a tracked version of what I have, with the benefit of more swing and lighter weight. Not really interested in the mini ex/skid steer combination. Digdeep, you sound as if you have run one. Will they not dig the equivalent of a similar sized mini or TLB? Do you mean they are slow digging, or slow ground speed? They claim a pretty good ground speed. I'm really looking for impressions from operators who have run them.
    Thanks for the input.

6. Digdeep

Digdeep LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm not trying to sway you one way or the other but I think you need to demo one. I have run one for a short period and I think you could look at them like you look at a swiss army knife. All of the tools and blades on the knife work O.K. but just not as good as a purpose built tool. My own impression was that it wasn't altogether really effective at digging with the bucket and loader arms and it was suitably capable from a an excavator perspective. The one thing that really stuck with me was how tall the machine was as it was almost 13 feet tall with the excavator boom. You should set up a demo to make sure it will work for you. I would personally go with as tracked machine (low psi for septics) with a backhoe attachment for when you need it.

7. bearmtnmartin

well, I apreciate any feedback. I have good reasons for thinking it might work well for my application. But the dealer has to order one in for me to try one out, and thats too much pressure for me. There are really none in Canada yet, so its hard to form an opinion of it. Mostly I would like to know basics like reliability, ergonomics, hydraulic function, fuel consumption, how it does in the mud(very important up in the rain forest) and etc.
    Thanks for the help

8. BrandonV

BrandonV LawnSite Platinum Member

9. ksss

ksss LawnSite Fanatic

It might be worth flying to a dealer that has one. Given what they cost it would be a small investment. Find one at a dealer with some space and let you spend the day on one. You might get your local dealer to either fund it or share the cost. As new of a concept as it is I would spend a whole day one before I signed for one. I have never run one but they look clumsy to me. I like the mini ex/skid steer combo but it doesn't work for everyone.

10. bearmtnmartin

I think I am going to drive down ot Oregon and see one there. The dealership has offered to fly me but then there is that huge pressure/obligation thing hanging over my head. I have talked to 4 operators now(maybe thats how many they have sold so far?) and they all really like them. So its probably worth a road trip. Does anyone know what they are priced at in the US? My dealer tells me 78K with a thumb and a cab with heat/air. I think thats about 10K high.
    Thanks.