Lawn Care Forum banner

Ditch Witch XT850

15K views 17 replies 12 participants last post by  arbor pro 
#1 ·
Folks, any thoughts on this unit? Looks like it would be great for excavation, doing post holes and other general loader work. The literature on the Ditch Witch site says that the tracks are very friendly but that isn't always the case from what I've seen and heard of tracks. Even the turf tires on my mini-skid can do some damage depending on the type of grass and how wet it is.

http://www.ditchwitch.com/dwcom/Product/ProductView/10718

Thanks, GL

#2 ·
As a ditchwitch enthusasist (look at my signature), I'd still be wary over buying this. The reasion being that for its cost you could probably get something like a Toro Dingo which is a proven performer in doing those tasks (or it may even cost up in the fullsize skid category).

Ditch Witch tends to use unusual engines (Duetz, Pettit-Lister) which can be hard to get parts for, though their dealership (while very expensive) has been able to overnight us any parts we might need.

EDIT: Just saw it uses a Kubota engine...Perhaps Ditchwitch is moving towards more conventional engines now. Thats good.

#4 ·
JonHolland said:
As a ditchwitch enthusasist (look at my signature), I'd still be wary over buying this. The reasion being that for its cost you could probably get something like a Toro Dingo which is a proven performer in doing those tasks (or it may even cost up in the fullsize skid category).

Ditch Witch tends to use unusual engines (Duetz, Pettit-Lister) which can be hard to get parts for, though their dealership (while very expensive) has been able to overnight us any parts we might need.

EDIT: Just saw it uses a Kubota engine...Perhaps Ditchwitch is moving towards more conventional engines now. Thats good.
It has a Kubota 28HP motor and a very unique turet excavator system and uses fly-by-wire controls. Very stong unit and yes, if very small space is an issue then get a mini-skid steer (SK350, SK500, SK650) but this is not a mini-skid steer. think of it as a full size bobcat on tracks with a built in Mini-Ex.

#5 ·
I'm hoping to get some more user input on the XT850. I'm in the market for a used one, but have not been able to find many reviews, especially in the last few years. The reviews I did find from the 2006 timeframe were mixed (some short and positive, some horror stories).

Does anyone have an experience with these that they could add? Good idea or not?

I'm looking to use one for light residential landscaping, nothing commercial.

Thanks,

Jon

#8 ·
J.

Please let us know how it turns out.

Are you buying new or used?

These don't seem to pop up all that often on the used market around here and I've not found a rental yard that uses them yet to get a better look/feel for their design. The only ones I can find lately are over 5 hours away from me, so its not like I can just run out and look at it. I'm not opposed to buying one long distance, but I'd like some confidence that these are decent machines in general before I make a trip.

Ditch Witch seems to have a good reputation, but I've read two very unsettling reviews from members on this board (blown hoses, poor welds, pumps and motor going out quickly) that run contrary to that. I've also seen a few good reviews (i.e. no problems except normal PM), but they were short on detail. I know first year models can have more problems, but some of these reviews were a couple of years after the XT850 came out. Just a little worried on the long term life of one of these with everything packed in so tight. The machines I'm looking at are in the 1000 hour range just for info.

Looking forward to more responses.

Jon

#9 ·
I have an SK650 and its the best investment I ever made in equipment. I looked at the 850 as well, but I was put off by the lower horsepower which is about 5 less than the 650, and the fact that I could not imagine ever changing a hydraulic hose on it. The 650 is bad enough for space. I went instead with the SK650 and a bradco backhoe attachment and it has been really good. I put a 200 foot septic field and two big tanks in with it in a little back yard not long ago.

#10 ·
For me, I am not happy with my Boxer. Just not the machine I hoped it would be. It sits WAY more than it goes out. Not really any problems with it, just not as useful as i'd hoped.

But, I think the X850 might be a better addition for me. So, I have a job lined up where one might excell, and give me a good idea if one will work.

I won't use one as a main machine either, more of an option when we go onto the smaller digging jobs. Basically everything I thought the Boxer would do.

J.

#12 ·
Well Got the 850 in today. We had to flip it from Deere to Cat, but over all not a bad unit.

Its quite a bit faster than my Boxer. Its got Way more lifting power but due to a Light material bucket it lacks break out force. But, I think if it had a standard sized bucket it would perform better.

It seems to run my trencher alot better than my boxer, but that could be due to trenching in better soil.

The back hoe end is pretty nice, but its kinda weird how everything moves back there. Instead of the boom swinging on a pivot (Like a normal hoe) it swings under and behind you. The boom only moves as an off set. The controls are electric servos instead of a pilot system which to me is a bit wierd since you cant feel anything load wise through the controls. But, it does dig well. It has a 18" tooth bucket on it, and that was a bit of a load and I don't think you could go muck bigger unless you had a CLEAN UP only bucket mounted.

Over all, if I can get the dealer to go for my trade, I think I might get it..

J.

#13 ·
J.

Thanks for the info.

How doe is look to do routine maintenance or change hoses on it? Blown hoses and wheel motors seemed to be the most common failures I'd read about.

How many hours are on the one your demoing? Any evidence that it has had hose, wheel motor or sprocket changes? Just trying to get a feel for how common these changes are. In quite a few of the ones I'd seen for sale online, you could see new sprocket nuts installed indicated some kind of change.

It was good to hear that it didn't seem underpowered. That concerned me a bit with a 26 HP motor pushing a 4000 lb machine. The replacement XT855 has a 32HP motor and I can't see any other significant changes. I wondered is being underpowered was a complaint on the XT850's.

Anything else you notice as you get more time on it, please let us know. Thanks.

Jon

#14 ·
Just a quick update on the XT855 upgrades over the XT850.
1. Upgraded the engine to the turbo charged version of the same engine with a gross of 32hp.
2. Changed the drive belt from a cogged belt to a duel V-belt set up. This may seem like a small change, but now when your belt breaks you can probably find a cheap replacement at your local auto parts store.
3. Ground drive motors changed from the Sauer motor with the tapered shaft to the Poclain motor with a bolt circle mount. No more key shear failures that require new sprocket and motor replacement.
4. The sprocket is now a forged sprocket rather than a cast sprocket. This just means that the sprocket is now "tougher" with harder teeth that will last quite a bit longer than the cast sprockets.
5. The main valve, diverter valves, and electronic controler are all located outside of the main frame and placed in an accessable "box" on the side of the machine. It makes for faster and easier maintenance.
6. Excavator hoses changed from a 3000 psi hose to a 4000 psi hose with a abrasion resistance jacket.
7. Ability to add on a bolt on Stabilizer Kit.
8. Front idler wheel in the tracks now have the ability to be greased, and the other idler wheels are now "harder."

There are more changes, but I'll have to look into it closer to figure them out. Also it was said by "J Peterson" that the boom only moves as an offset. I don't believe that is correct. The excavator has a swing function like any normal backhoe as well as an offset. One function is controlled with the left joystick, left to right, and the other is controlled with a "thumb" button on the joystick, left and right.

Thanks,
Mies

#15 ·
If anyone is looking for an xt850 and a whole attachment package, let me know. I'm almost done closing out my business and will be selling mine as a complete contractor package including:

- 2006 xt850 with 800 hours - no issues and just serviced
- DW SK5VP vibratory plow attachment
- Toro auger head and like new 36" tree planting bit
- Toro 36" trencher with new chain, teeth, roller and sprocket
- Custom bucket grapple - opens to 45" (36" wide - built for an sk650 but works well on zt850 too for tree debris, etc)
- HD 42" pallet forks (not the wimpy mini skid forks)
- 50" GP bucket
- 48" bulk bucket
- 48" carry all/leveler

Looking at $30k obo for entire package.

scott 605.228.9350

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.