Ditched my partner

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Vanderhoff Landscaping, Feb 19, 2013.

1. Vanderhoff Landscaping

Vanderhoff Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

My ex partner has zero interest in doing it any more. He basically wants a 9-5 job making $15-$20 an hour. He wasn't a morning person. By the time he rolled out of bed and we got going, we didn't get to our first lawn until about 9/9:30. Then he wanted to be back by 5/6:00. He lives with his parents, has nothing and screwed around half if the time.

I addressed this to him at the conclusion of last season and he didn't care so a few weeks ago when I wanted to discuss the upcoming season he said he wasn't interested and wanted nothing to do with it. So over this past weekend we agreed to part ways. He wants to get a job as a carpenters helper. My guess is that he doesn't want the responsibility of running a business and just wants to collect a check every week. So on Monday, we filed the paperwork to dissolve the business. I gave him a nice chunk of change for his half of the equipment that he helped pay for and he signed a no compete letter. I have an appointment with my lawyer on Friday to file the necessary paperwork for an LLC. It was my lawyers advise to go with an LLC. I already have a letter made up for my customers about the change and I don't think I should have any problems with keeping them since they already know me and that I was also the one who did all of the admin work and phone calls, billing etc. I am really looking forward to going at this solo. I can run things my way without worrying about butting heads with someone.
    Posted via Mobile Device

2. RodneyK

RodneyK LawnSite Senior Member

I guess I don't understand why you just didn't amend the current company to you as only owner. Why did you have to dissolve it? You essentially bought him out... Seems like a lot of work to file new company, new tax I.d., new biz cards and the list goes on and on...

3. Vanderhoff Landscaping

Vanderhoff Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

Basically I didn't want his initial on it anymore. Instead of "H & M Yard Improvements" I just renamed it after myself. Biz cards & T shirts had his number on them too. Biz cards are not a big deal. I have software in my computer and the blank sleeves. Plus I can write off any losses for another 3 years lol.
    Posted via Mobile Device