1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Mike_6606, May 15, 2001.

1. Mike_6606

Mike_6606 LawnSite Member

We have several miles of ditches that are overgrown with trees up to 5 inches in diameter. Guido has been working hard with Bobcat excavator, but we really need attachment for farm tractor or excavator that can handle cutting trees up to at least 4 inches diameter. Any suggestions are welcome.

2. Hardy Enterprises

Hardy Enterprises LawnSite Member

Do you have a acess to a full size excavator or just a mini. I know of several companies that make brush shredders for large excavators.

3. Highpoint

Highpoint LawnSite Member

My bobcat dealer has a tree cutter that they rent. Check your rental yards. Just a thought.
  4. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

while driving on the interstate the other day I say the highway crew using a D-5 type dozer with a flail type attachment on the front instead of a blade. this thing was awsome. what ever the dozer could push down the flail grinder turned into mulch. one pass and the right of way was maintained. you could use one of those.

5. Guido

Guido LawnSite Silver Member

Sounds good, but they wouldn't give us the $$ without skyrocketing your taxes!!

Hardy Enterprises - We have access to about any type of equipment, what did you have in mind as an attatchment.

The stuff I've seen is either only good for the small stuff (small brushcutters for bobcat loaders and farm tractors) or only good for the large stuff (big stump grinders for large excavators)

We're looking for an all purpose attatchment in between the 2 extremes.

It wouldn't be mad if we only had to do a couple of ditch lines but we have EASILY 75-100 miles of open ditches on base that haven't been
    maintained for over 10 years!! Its a real hassle just to get the machines in close enough to the ditches to start shaping them. I end up spending more time clearing brush and cutting down trees beside the ditches than I do cleaning out the ditches (the real problem!)

Thanks Guys, let me or Mike know if you have anymore ideas!
  6. Barkleymut

Barkleymut LawnSite Bronze Member

Don't ya'll have some leftover Napalm? Just torch the ditches for a couple of weeks then throw down some seed. Otherwise I think you have a lot of work in front of you.
  7. Hardy Enterprises

Hardy Enterprises LawnSite Member

I don't know what your budget will support or how much these attachments cost but here are a couple companies that sell brush cutters that mount on a trackhoe.

Pro Mac Manufacturing

1-800-665-5405 or 250-746-5181

8. Guido

Guido LawnSite Silver Member

We'll check into it! The mower looks pretty neat!
  9. Mike_6606

Mike_6606 LawnSite Member

Thanks for the input. Personally, I like the napalm idea, just don't think we can get away with it. I saw a bush hog type attachment on a John Deere mini/mid excavator in Florida several years ago. It did a really nice job. I have surfed the web and can't find anything like it. As Guido said, we need something in a reasonable price range that will perform on one of the machines we already have. We have a John Deere 690 C (Military style with six rubber tires), a Liebherr 308 mid size (also wheeled), and a Bobcat 334 mini (Guido's Baby)