ditchwitch 410

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by kozmo, Dec 18, 2005.

1. kozmo

kozmo LawnSite Member

Goodmorning guys i am med. size company and we install 230 to 280 systems a year. we use 2 255 sx vib. plows 2 years ago i want a bigger machine so purchased a old 410 not happy with it from get go we rolled it in 3 days .on the smallest incline that would never have rolled the 255 make long story short nobody in my company likes using it so we got rid after 2 months. my question i want the bigger machine with a trencher what does everybody use and are you happy with it. 410 or maxi sneaker ... thanks in advance for the help

2. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

I havent rolled my 410 yet, and I've been on some pretty tricky surfaces.

I'm not trying to offend but it depends on operator skill really. I can go with a 410 anywhere a pipe needs to be laid, You just need to keep your attachments low.

Besides that, you can outpull the 255sx by far with a 410.

3. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

If you have concerns about rolling a machine, then use dual wheels all around. Use a shallower plowing depth. You can't have a heavy-duty machine that will fit through a 36" gate, and not have it more likely to roll than a smaller machine would. <a href=http://www.ditchwitch.com/dwcom/Product/ProductView/105>What's your tire configuration</a>?

4. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

We run single tires. I havent had a problem yet, and I've had it on some steep grades.

You need to use common sense on how to traverse them.

5. Vermeer

Vermeer Inactive
    from Iowa

Kozmo,

There are three choices for the machine in question (DW 410, Case/Aztec Maxi and Vermeer LM-42) try them all to see what's best for your operation. Things to keep in mind as Wet Boots mentioned tire configuration is important (Tire size, duals etc). You should also take into consideration using wheel weights and/or foam or liquid filled tires. There may also be side weights available as an option that are placed strategically. All of these items are low to the ground and should help lower the center of gravity. As with any piece of equipment there are always compromises with some of these features such as increased weight or width. These machines are all articulated so make sure your operators are comfortable with this type of design in comparison to a rigid frame machine like the 255sx. That may be part of the learning curve.

6. sprinklerhead

sprinklerhead LawnSite Member
    from MI.

I would agree with you . it takes a little bit of skill to run this machine. i have the bigger tires on mine an its great. you just have to take it easy. if your on a hill just go up and down don't go along the side of it then you have problems. i had a maxi sneaker and it was junk i prefer 410 sx.