Ditchwitch 410sx Vibratory plow

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by Dirty Water, May 4, 2005.

1. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

We recently purchased this unit to replace our very tired VP12.

Its been an excellent plow so far, but we are having issues with it pulling the pullers off the pipe and/or breaking carabeaners.

We are using the same style of puller and carabeaner that we used for years with the VP12. Is there a new style available now?

People who prefer to plow rather than trench, I'd like your input.
  2. bicmudpuppy

bicmudpuppy LawnSite Silver Member

I've had problems of late with grips that didn't hold, and I've blamed it on a combination of the socks being old and worn and the pipe being "slick". I don't think it's the machine. Any chance you've changed pipe manufaturers recently? Is it pvc or poly that you are losing?
    I've never had much luck using a carabeaner as a quick disconnect. I like a mechanical chain link that screws together. Also, I highly recomend 6-10" of chain between the blade and the grip. This takes the wear and tear off of your sock from the vibration. The length of chain should be at least 3 times the travel of your blade during vibration.
  3. Dirty Water

You make good points, on the VP12 we had about 6" of chain and never had a problem, the 410 just had a shackel on the bullet of the blade. I suppose putting a length of chain, and changing to a screw type disconnect would fix that problem.

We haven't changed our pipe (sch 40 from 1/2" to 1 1/4") lately, but usually do lose the socks (pullers) when pulling in wet clay.

And before you knock me for only using Schedule 40, we havent had any luck with 200psi rated pipe in the horrible rocky washingston soil...switching to sch 40 pretty much elimnated line break callbacks.
  4. bicmudpuppy

bicmudpuppy LawnSite Silver Member

I use class pipe because I can.......I've installed shc40 when it was prudent (couple of years ago when prices went STUPID, I had a chance to buy sch40 at .03' less than class) I still think the socks slipping is either a sock or pipe problem. I don't see it as much when a sock is almost new. I see it more with silverline pipe than I do crestline (and I take whoever's price is best when I order). Using duct tape around the pipe and over the sock seems to help a worn sock, but it becomes labor intensive and tape costs money too. But, socks are pricey at best.........
    Sorry, this answer doesn't really help, but maybe my interpretation of the same problem here helps. You find a solution, let me know!
  5. greenworldh20

greenworldh20 LawnSite Senior Member

we pull poly with a chain...have pulled it with a sock...never had the problems you are experiencing...we do have 4 links in the chain that pulls the pipe.

6. Dirty Water

An update to the issue.

I've seem to have fixed out problems. Heres what I did:

• Added 6" of chain onto the blade
    • Had a welding shop build up the bullet with weld, so it creates a larger cavity
    • Switch from $2.99 Hardware store carabeaners to $15 Rock Climbing ones
    • Wrap duct tape around the bottom of the puller/sock a few times, and then onto the pipe.

Haven't had any more problems, and with the larger cavity, its easier to pull the pipe around to put in Tee's.