Diversity in the Lawn & Landscape Industry

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Lawn Enforcer, Nov 29, 2009.

1. Lawn Enforcer

Lawn Enforcer LawnSite Silver Member

Hey everyone,
    I have a 5 page essay due tomorrow (nothing like waiting until the last minute) and it is about diversity in an industry. I chose the lawn and landscape industry, and what do you think makes our industry so diverse? This is a broad topic, go nuts. Thanks!

2. ALC-GregH

ALC-GregH LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

you mean give you the answer? I have no clue, sorry. But, this reminds me of long winded post Bruce made in another thread but I won't go there. I will say, if your going to wait until the last day to do it and then post a thread asking others to basically give you the answer, then I hope you fail the course. Maybe that will help you to understand the importance of doing research (homework) and learning about what your after. Hows that for nuts? Good luck.

3. Yater

Yater LawnSite Senior Member

I wouldn't base my paper on anything said around here. ALC-greg is a fine example. The dude never learned the appropriate use of your/you're or how to use an apostrophe. It's basic stuff, but if you can't grasp elementary grammar, you don't have anything to offer.

4. Hanau

Hanau LawnSite Bronze Member

How about you interview different business owners?

If you'd like send me a PM or an email with some questions and I'll answer them. Hopefully a few others will volunteer to as well. Than you can write some sort of paper about that.

Good luck.

5. Lugnut

Lugnut LawnSite Senior Member

Well one thing i would note is the broad difference in company sizes throughout the industry. You have guys working solo and making a good living, and you have companies with hundreds of employees, and every number in between. How many other industries are there where a solo operation can even survive, let alone prosper. I'd be more than willing to help you out with a survey or answering some questions as well if you would like the perspective of a small but growing company.

6. Lawn Enforcer

Wow, obviously you took me the wrong way. I have my rough draft done and everything, I'm just looking for some ideas to maybe spruce up the paper, some interesting things about the green industry and how it is diverse. I have things about diverse workers, equipment, techniques, services, etc. I did research, just looking for some fun ideas. That's what I meant about nuts.

7. Lawn Enforcer

Excellent point, I mention in my paper how I make it with only me and my dad, but I haven't expanded on larger companies. Thanks!

Hanau- thanks for the offer-if I need some questions answered, I'll PM you, thanks!

8. DLAWNS

DLAWNS LawnSite Fanatic

If it's not too late, I'd be happy to give you some ideas if you have some more specific questions. I can't think of anything off the top of my head as it seems like you have come up with the basic gist of your paper. But if there's any way that I can help, just ask away.

9. dhunterd08

dhunterd08 LawnSite Senior Member

comeing from an econ major's perspective... what makes this industry so diverse is the low low low barriers to entry. the diversity in skill level is huge as well your average 12 year old can enter and be succesful in he business as well as someone with a degree in landscape design(not sure if they have a masters or anyting) that can do everything from irrigation to retaining walls to your average landscape maintenance. I would argue there is not another industry that has such low barriers when it comes to laws and permits,equipment, startup costs, availability of consumers for this service. Idk just my thoughts lol

10. CkLandscapingOrlando

CkLandscapingOrlando LawnSite Senior Member

On the same lines as the last post... Education. We got 4th grade drop outs to PHD holders and every thing inbetween. Public perception to. Most think we are that 4th grade drop out and feel the pay should be inline.