Divided Highway Mowing/Shredding

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Knightrider2, Mar 20, 2000.

1. Knightrider2

Knightrider2 LawnSite Member

Hello guys I am going to ask a question that has probably come up but I can't seem to find anything in past forums. I was trying to figure out how to go about landing a contract on mowing/shredding the grass/weeds that runs between divided highways. I would like to also know if anyone has tried this and if it is good business.

2. southside

southside LawnSite Senior Member

We have done some roadside slashing(bush hog)<br>in the past.Most contracts here are paid <br>on a per square metre basis.Last one I did<br>paid 1.24 cents per metre.(One square metre<br>= app 10 square feet we use metric here)Paid<br>the .24 of a cent to my guy with the brush-<br>cutter and he made $25 AUD per hour.I kept<br>the 1 cent per m2 and was on about $80 AUD<br>p/h.Normal rate for my machine is $45AUD p/h.<br>You can make good dollars but you have to push your gear pretty hard.Forget using ztr<br>mowers,ect, you'll need tractor/bush hog.<br>Best places to find work is your local main<br>roads department or your local council (county or city).<br>Good luck<p>Karl

3. Knightrider2

Southside Thank You for the response. I was going to us a tractor for sure. I was curious though, you said you have done it in the past, why did you quit? Is it to much wear on your equipment or what? Did you set the price or was that something that they said they would be willing to pay. Your response is very promising though. Thanks again.<p>----------<br>Kevin S. Knight<br>

4. Charles

Charles Moderator Staff Member

Our state hwy dept takes care of all roadways. They have a road maintenance dept.

5. Hardy Enterprises

Hardy Enterprises LawnSite Member

Hey Kevin, I'm getting ready to bid on cutting the right of ways for an industrial park. I'm planning on using an 80 Hp tractor with a 15' batwing. I am planning on eventually getting setup to do highways but right know do not have enough equipment. The highway department around here mows the outskirt highways but the major highways around towns they contract out. Around town they want everything: mowing, weedeating and trash. To do all this in a reasonable amount of time takes a major equipment investment. The guy that cut around here last year had about 10-12 tractors, 4 trucks, a full time mechanic, 10-12 weedeater operators, etc. I heard the other day from a guy that fixed his tractor flats here in town that he had filed bankruptcy. There are a lot of unknowns such as equipment repairs that you have to take into account. All of his tractors were brand new and as I said above he still needed a full time mechanic to keep them all running. Liablity on highway mowing is also very high. A women in Jackson was killed a couple years ago when a busshog blade broke and hit her driving down the road. Also keep in mind that you have to have some way of moving all your equipment. I have an F350 dually and a 36' tandem dual gooseneck to haul my equipment. My insurance doubled when I bought that trailer. There is a lot to think about hope this helps.<p>Jay

6. southside

Knightrider2, I stopped doing roadside work<br>because its real hard on the gear as you have<br>to move real fast to make the good dollars.<br>That would be why the guy mentioned by Hardy<br>went broke.Even new equipment will get knocked around real bad. And it is almost<br>impossible to get good operators for tractors. They are completely different to use than any mower. One point to consider,<br>over here slashing (bush hogging) is about <br>the most dangerous industry around.On average<br>here,1-2 people a month get killed using <br>tractor/slashers.On the subject of tractors,<br>stick with Ford,Fiat,Massey or Deutz.Case can<br>be a bit weak in the gearbox and JD's are<br>too unstable and lose too much power through<br>the pto.<br>Any other questions my email is<br>southside@windsor.net.au<p>Good luck <br>Karl

7. southside

Knightrider2, I stopped doing roadside work<br>because its real hard on the gear as you have<br>to move real fast to make the good dollars.<br>That would be why the guy mentioned by Hardy<br>went broke.Even new equipment will get knocked around real bad. And it is almost<br>impossible to get good operators for tractors. They are completely different to use than any mower. One point to consider,<br>over here slashing (bush hogging) is about <br>the most dangerous industry around.On average<br>here,1-2 people a month get killed using <br>tractor/slashers.On the subject of tractors,<br>stick with Ford,Fiat,Massey or Deutz.Case can<br>be a bit weak in the gearbox and JD's are<br>too unstable and lose too much power through<br>the pto.<br>Any other questions my email is<br>southside@windsor.net.au<p>Good luck <br>Karl

8. steveair

steveair LawnSite Bronze Member

Just for the record,<p>Ever see a &quot;GOOD&quot; looking piece of state highway mowing equipment. And just imagine, thats what they look like with mechanics who work on them every day of the week!<p>

9. Knightrider2

Well guys I appreciate all of the input, it doesn't sound like something I would like to invest in right now. Thanks for helping me come to my senses.<p> You guys are great keep up the good work.<p>----------<br>Kevin S. Knight<br>