Divits from hydro wheels

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Shane7258, Jun 25, 2005.

1. Shane7258

Shane7258 LawnSite Member

Used my brand new snapper pro fastback mini ZTR and I noticed in a couple of spots the turn caused a divit loose dirt and dry conditions for those of you intrested in the lay of the land. What's the best approach to get this under control thanls for any tips I also have the bagging system that makes the total width 60 inches for those thinking of a snapper w/ 19 kaw. Caused me to get another new toy a bigger trailer well now need a bigger shed to keep it in for it won't got hrough the door I love all the new toys and stuff but the wife keeps bringing up my long lists of I wants and I need Also I have used a WB not a ZTR and understand this could be my fault but I want to get it under control if it is or is not
    Ray

2. ProLawns

ProLawns LawnSite Senior Member

Do a three point turn or turn on the driveway or sidewalk.

3. Shane7258

Shane7258 LawnSite Member

thanks will do I am sure as time goes on the more proficient I will become just trying to save a headache

4. fixer67

fixer67 LawnSite Silver Member

We sell Walkers and a lot of first timers have this problem. Do as ProLawns says and find a lawn that does not mater if it gets messed up a little and just practice turning. A ZTR can turn on a dime and give you 9 cents change but sometimes you do not need that tight of a turn and sometimes you can not take it with out lawn damage. Practicing will help a lot. I know a LCO that makes all new hires practice in his back yard all day doing nothing but turning and will not let them on a customer's lawn unitl they get it right.

5. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Good advice...always use a hard area to turn when it's available.

6. TClawn

TClawn LawnSite Silver Member

yeah, I always go on to the pavement if possible.

once you get the motion down, it's real easy to turn on a dime, sometimes, you can't avoid tearing, but most times, you can do it with no trouble.

the concept is this, if your wheels are always turning, you don't tear up the lawn.

in a zero turn, there is a point where both wheels stop, and a point where the rear wheels stops.

when you have finished your pass, stop. then move one lever forward, and the other back.

when you are just about in line for the next pass, smoothly push the lever that was in reverse forward, slow down the front wheel, but be sure it does not stop.

there will be a point where the rear wheel will stop, try to keep it from twisting as much as possible.

it's really hard to explain. you just have to do it.

7. Illini_Fan

Illini_Fan LawnSite Member

You need to slow down the wheel that is pulling forward to about half speed, because, the wheel that is in reverse will only go about half as fast as the forward speed. By doing this, you will perform a true zero turn. If you do not slow the forward turning wheel it drags the wheel that is in reverse and that is what causes lawn damage. However, sometimes the turf is just loose due to disease or dry conditions. Good luck.

Mark

8. GLC51

GLC51 LawnSite Member

All of the points made above 3 point turns, go slow, turn on the pavement or driveway if possible( but you have to be carful there too on concrete if you just spin around you leave nice little black circles which the customer probably won't appreciate either) but the main thing is to practice, once you get it figured out it's second nature and you don't even have to think about it. Good luck.

9. burns60

burns60 LawnSite Senior Member

To use a basketball term, I call it "traveling", or dragging your pivot foot. I find that it is all about turning smoothly, and keeping the wheels turning as much as possible. Slow down the outside wheel and ease back on the "pivot foot". Im not about to say it never happens to me, but you can get better with practice. Yeah, don't pass up an oportunity to make your turn on hard surface and then ride onto the grass.

10. TClawn

TClawn LawnSite Silver Member

oh, the reason I like hard surfaces is that you don't spin the wheels out like you do on wet grass.

even if you go slow, I still manage to spin 'em. after 10:30 I prefer to stay on the lawn, saves on the blowing.