Dixi Chopper to buy or not

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by JABBERS, Feb 16, 2008.

JABBERS LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

I run Ex marks now, they are very good mowers. But I have heard good things about Dixi Chop. Does anybody have any info before I demo one?
  2. DaveinSWFL

DaveinSWFL LawnSite Member

I have 2 exmark 46" and just purchased a 60" dixie chopper. I use the exmarks for residential and the chopper for commercial/indutrial areas. The chopper is fast and gives a great cut. I would definitely demo one.

from Ohio

Thanks for the info. I have what I call country lawns. My lawns are a bit rough with steep to gently rolling terrain. The grass can get high at times because of customers wants and needs.
  4. tb8100

tb8100 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from TX

you might also check out Bad Boy mowers. They do well on rough terrain thanks to their 4 wheel suspension and Michigan 5300 suspension seats. They, like Dixies, also go up to 15mph. You can get into the 14mph Lightning series with 12L pumps, 26hp LC Kawasaki, and 52" deck for $7495. Too many features to list! Badboymowers.com for more info.

No Dixie can come close to Bad Boy at any given price point.
  5. DBL

DBL LawnSite Silver Member

do a search theres a lot of threads
  6. Mike Blevins

Mike Blevins LawnSite Bronze Member

I would keep the Exmarks.

from Ohio

My exmark is the 60" ZTR eps 28HP efi. This mower is a bit costly to fix or replace. I heard from someone who has experience with 90% of commercial mowers that the dixi sits the best comfort wise and is real easy to fix. Plus i heard that you don't tear up as much turf. That would be great for my guys.
  8. joshco84

joshco84 LawnSite Senior Member

I dont think you will like it after running exmarks, no comparison at all in my opinion. Tearing up turf is about 90 % operator error. Also i dont think they are very comfortable either, sits up to high for me
  9. tb8100

tb8100 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from TX

One thing about the Dixies is they come standard with those Turf Boss tires, which look to me like they would tear turf up more than Turf Masters. Turf Masters are optional though, so keep that in mind. Also, the Dixies dont come standard with steering dampeners (its an option). If you're just buying a mower off the dealer floor, it probably wouldnt have those options.

Exmarks are nice mowers. Overpriced, but nice. Why are you looking elsewhere?

What do you think about Scag? They're a quality alternative to Exmark as well, and have a low center of gravity.
  10. kayeproperties

kayeproperties LawnSite Member

I had an exmark 48 that had some hydro problems that a crappy dealer didnt take care of so when it was time for new machine I went with a Dixie. Well it had a lott of problems for such a simple machine but it just didnt compair to the exmark in feel quality cut and ride. The deck is stronger and the parts seem more durable on the exmark. To be honest the 52 Exmark I have now is just as fast and the cut is way better. The price wasnt much if any different.