Lawn Care Forum banner

Dixi Chopper to buy or not

8K views 76 replies 17 participants last post by  dhardin53 
#1 ·
I run Ex marks now, they are very good mowers. But I have heard good things about Dixi Chop. Does anybody have any info before I demo one?

#3 ·
Thanks for the info. I have what I call country lawns. My lawns are a bit rough with steep to gently rolling terrain. The grass can get high at times because of customers wants and needs.

#4 ·
you might also check out Bad Boy mowers. They do well on rough terrain thanks to their 4 wheel suspension and Michigan 5300 suspension seats. They, like Dixies, also go up to 15mph. You can get into the 14mph Lightning series with 12L pumps, 26hp LC Kawasaki, and 52" deck for $7495. Too many features to list! Badboymowers.com for more info.

No Dixie can come close to Bad Boy at any given price point.

#7 ·
My exmark is the 60" ZTR eps 28HP efi. This mower is a bit costly to fix or replace. I heard from someone who has experience with 90% of commercial mowers that the dixi sits the best comfort wise and is real easy to fix. Plus i heard that you don't tear up as much turf. That would be great for my guys.

#9 ·
One thing about the Dixies is they come standard with those Turf Boss tires, which look to me like they would tear turf up more than Turf Masters. Turf Masters are optional though, so keep that in mind. Also, the Dixies dont come standard with steering dampeners (its an option). If you're just buying a mower off the dealer floor, it probably wouldnt have those options.

Exmarks are nice mowers. Overpriced, but nice. Why are you looking elsewhere?

What do you think about Scag? They're a quality alternative to Exmark as well, and have a low center of gravity.

#10 ·
I had an exmark 48 that had some hydro problems that a crappy dealer didnt take care of so when it was time for new machine I went with a Dixie. Well it had a lott of problems for such a simple machine but it just didnt compair to the exmark in feel quality cut and ride. The deck is stronger and the parts seem more durable on the exmark. To be honest the 52 Exmark I have now is just as fast and the cut is way better. The price wasnt much if any different.

#11 ·
I just can't bring myself to look at Dixie seriously. They still look like they are built in a weird hillbilly's shop in the trailer park. I am sorry. There is an LCO here locally that has one, and I thought I would drive my lightning down to him to check out. He had a 43hp turbo generac engine that he had bought in 99 for $16900. He said he couldn't count how many times it has been in the shop. It felt like driving a box. Even with all that power, my lightning out mowed his machine, and it only cost $7495 now. He was really impressed with it, and was wanting to look at BB's for a while now. His sister was the owner of the yard we were at, and she wrote me a check for a ZT that day. Pretty easy sale. (she just lives right up the road from my house) He said when he got his mower sold he would be getting a Cat diesel.

#13 ·
I just can't bring myself to look at Dixie seriously. They still look like they are built in a weird hillbilly's shop in the trailer park. I am sorry. There is an LCO here locally that has one, and I thought I would drive my lightning down to him to check out. He had a 43hp turbo generac engine that he had bought in 99 for $16900. He said he couldn't count how many times it has been in the shop. It felt like driving a box. Even with all that power, my lightning out mowed his machine, and it only cost $7495 now. He was really impressed with it, and was wanting to look at BB's for a while now. His sister was the owner of the yard we were at, and she wrote me a check for a ZT that day. Pretty easy sale. (she just lives right up the road from my house) He said when he got his mower sold he would be getting a Cat diesel.
Any bad boy dealers in FL, I would love to check them out to see what all the hype is about?

#14 ·
I have a 1989 scag 48" walk behind 2nd motor but still running strong. I had the opportunity to run side by side a scag 60" 25hp and my exmark 28hp efi. Both well made machines with the same thickness of metal. The motor and dealer support are the only things different that's why I went with exmark.

#15 ·
I look at it like I can get 2 dixi's for one exmark. Its worth a shot to test them out. Come spring I will get one and take it out in the field and put it to work. I will post my results thats for sure.

#17 ·
Any bad boy dealers in FL, I would love to check them out to see what all the hype is about?
yeah, their number 1 dealer is in Florida I believe. There are a number of dealers in FL. Go to www.badboymowers.com and type in your zip in the dealer locator to see where your closest dealer is.

#18 ·
I would start with the classic and also look at the xtreme. I like the idea of the 2 blades per spindal. I've heard of people doing that with all ztr's.

#20 ·
#21 ·
Yes I realize the price does say something. But i know someone that used them for 3 yrs. with no problems. The machines were older ones too. I'm just curious that's all. That guy i know has used and had the chance to demo just about every machine out there. He thinks the dixi for the money is the ticket. Do not get me wrong my exmark to me will be #1. But I also know I want more than just a name. I won't be running the crew for ever. I might feel better knowing my $6,000 is getting abused rather than my $12,000

#22 ·
Yes I realize the price does say something. But i know someone that used them for 3 yrs. with no problems. The machines were older ones too. I'm just curious that's all. That guy i know has used and had the chance to demo just about every machine out there. He thinks the dixi for the money is the ticket. Do not get me wrong my exmark to me will be #1. But I also know I want more than just a name. I won't be running the crew for ever. I might feel better knowing my $6,000 is getting abused rather than my $12,000
What model can you get for 6000?

#23 ·
Ok first thing is someone is smoking something if you are going to tell me that a 26hp bad boy is going to even come close to keeping up with a 46hp dixie! Sorry it is not going to happen! Second I was at a lawn and garden show today and you can buy a 60" 27hp Dixie for $7495! I could not compare to bad boy because they were NO WHERE to be found! Third Generac does not even make a turbo charged engine! Again the bad boy guys hit this magic saving money and get a lot more mower but it does not add up around here!

#25 ·
Ok first thing is someone is smoking something if you are going to tell me that a 26hp bad boy is going to even come close to keeping up with a 46hp dixie! Sorry it is not going to happen! Second I was at a lawn and garden show today and you can buy a 60" 27hp Dixie for $7495! I could not compare to bad boy because they were NO WHERE to be found! Third Generac does not even make a turbo charged engine! Again the bad boy guys hit this magic saving money and get a lot more mower but it does not add up around here!
Hey, I agree. I have never seen generac make a turbo engine but i could be wrong.

Wow, a 60 inch 27hp for 7495...thats a deal...:usflag:

Was that with the generac?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.