dixie ?and exmark.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by rdh, Jun 30, 2001.

1. rdh

rdh LawnSite Senior Member

the choppers and exmark are lawn sites most liked mowers. i would like to know if the decks have front baffles that throw grass to each chamber ?this should help people when choosing a mower if they are the same since they both discharge great.

2. Kent Lawns

Kent Lawns LawnSite Senior Member
    from Midwest

The sales numbers of both indicate they're not only lawnsite's favorite, but also the most popular Z's world-wide.

Anyway, the Exmark deck does baffle the front (beginning in 1995) but the Dixie do not. Dixie's discharge so well due to high blade tip speed and a large dischage chute opening.

3. rdh

rdh LawnSite Senior Member

wow i was trying to find out if they where the same to see if thats the reasone they are the faverite .

4. John DiMartino

John DiMartino LawnSite Silver Member

I canr believe Dixies sales #'s are even close to Exmarks.Even Toro sells more Z's here.When I bought my Dixie,no one ever heard of them,and I had 1 of maybe 5 in my county.Exmark,Toro,Bobcats,and grasshoppers are on every trailer.

5. HOMER

HOMER LawnSite Gold Member

Dixie's are abundant in Dixie. So are Exmark. I would say it's a close one as to how many. There are a few of the other variaties around.............even saw a guy with a Walker the other day. His yard didn't look near as good as I thouhgt it would though.

6. Shawn Burns

Shawn Burns LawnSite Member
    from N.C.

i thought that there was an industry standard on the max blade tip speed. if so, how can the chopper, or any mower for that matter, have a tip speed that much faster than the rest?? a question i've had for a long time.

7. HOMER

HOMER LawnSite Gold Member

There is a Govt. std...........and Choppers are right at the maximum. Every one else is pushing the numbers as well.

8. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

Dixie Chopper walks a fine line on BTS. When a 60" Chopper is turning 3,600 RPMs the blades are spinning right at 3,600 also. This results in a BTS just over 19,000 FPS but still close enough to be in compliance. Most of the rest of the manufactures choose to keep the BTS at a comfortable level below 19,000 FPS by about 500 to 1,000 FPS at an engine RPM of 3,600.

9. John DiMartino

John DiMartino LawnSite Silver Member

Richard,if thats true,then Im a law breaker-my dealer sets my governor to 4000Rpm's every time it brought it in, after the head gaskets,it came back at 4200.I keep turning it back down to 3800-3850.I mow at 36-3750 a lot,no wonder it bogs with double blades.

10. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

John,
    You're not a law breaker but if an accident were to happen there would no doubt be lawyers involved and that could cause problems. Also OSHA could take the machine out of service if it found to be not in compliance with the government's guidlines concerning BTS.