Dixie and Stil

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by flyerd124, May 19, 2008.

1. flyerd124

flyerd124 LawnSite Member

Those of you that are running Dixie Choppers are checking the gear box lube. It says to check the level every 50 hrs. I am starting to have to add lube about every 30 hrs. Is this common in your Dixies. Also at what Oil-Gas mixture do you use on your Stil 2cyc equipment.

2. TandM

TandM LawnSite Senior Member
    from south

50:1 for the oil. Sounds like you have a gasket problem or there is a leak somewhere in your gear box. You need to have this checked out. It must be a very slow leak though.

3. flyerd124

I wash my machine every day after use. The leak must be small. I will have to not wash it for a couple of days to see were it is leaking. Thanks for the info on the Stil.

4. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

Dixie stopped having seperate lubes in the gearbox almost 10 years ago. You must have a real old model there. The T Gear Box now uses the same fluid as the hydro system as is hooked into it.

5. flyerd124

The mower is new this year. I have put over 690 hrs on it so far. It calls for 80/90 Lucus gear oil.

6. flyerd124

Im sorry not 690 this year. It was new in may 2007. So the hrs are from then.

7. tamadrummer

tamadrummer LawnSite Bronze Member

In my stihl 2 cycle equipment, I run 93 octane fuel (ethanol free so far) and Stihl Ultra 2 cycle oil @ 50:1 mix.

In my other 2 cycle equipment I run 93 octane and John Deere Premium 2 cycle oil @ 50:1

As far as my hydro oil goes, I am running 15w40 Royal Purple and Napa Gold Hydro filters and not using any oil so far.

8. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

You learn something new every day.

9. dhardin53

dhardin53 LawnSite Senior Member

The gears box oils is different then the hydro oil. Yes the hydro oil is vented to the t box, and if the hydro overflows it will get into the t box, but it will not hurt anything. just don't over flow it. But the box is filled with 80/90 gear oil.

Check your lines and t box gasket. It not cheap to replace t box but better to have it fixed. A new DC should not need T box gaskets. More like a leaky line some where, which is easy to find and fix.

My Stihl i use high octane gas and a 100/1 Ames Oil for all my 2 cycles.

10. STIHL GUY

STIHL GUY LawnSite Fanatic
    from CT

50:1 for Stihl stuff