1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Dixie belt auto parts store

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by matthew horner, May 14, 2004.

1. matthew horner

matthew horner LawnSite Senior Member

I need a b78 belt for my dixie PRONTO. Its down, and my back up is down. All the dixie lacks is the belt. I was going order one, but the belt is made by goodyear for magic circle. Can I get a matching belt at an auto parts store?

2. GeeVee

GeeVee LawnSite Senior Member

3. Likestomow

Likestomow LawnSite Senior Member

Dixie use to use Dayco Super II belts on all their machines. I think they are still the best and longest lasting belts available.

Find a bearing house and tell them your business name. You should get a great price on a great belt, but don't get anything less than the Super II or they won't last as long.
  4. matthew horner

I need to get something in my town in the morning.

I can go for longevity when I get some time.

Anyone had to cross reference this b78 belt? It is made by goodyear.

5. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

Matt, there isn't a cross reference for a b78 belt. A b78 belt is the same length and width regardless of who makes it. "b" is the width (5/8") and 78 is the length (78"). Just go to the autoparts store and ask them if they can cross reference the b78. Chances are that they can't. If they can't then ask them for a 5/8 by 78 belt. Again chances are they won't have something that wide. If you have to settle for a narrower belt then get one that is slightly, about an inch, shorter. The narrower belt will sit in the pullies lower and therefore require less length.

Your best bet is to take the whole mower and try them right at the autoparts store.
  6. matthew horner

Ok, so i got a 5/8 by 78inch belt. Heres my newest problem.

I can't get the adjustment right. If I slack off the belt to the deck, then the power belt is to slack, and if i tighten up the power belt, the mower deck belt gets too tight. AND, the mower deck belt has to be VERY loose, to fully disengage ie, the blades turn a little no matter what. THey kick in full power of course when i turn the handle to engage, but when i disengage, they still keep turning a little bit. Is there a trick to this, and why, on the idler pulley, is there two places to mount the pulley. Sorry, this mower is taking up a lot of my time, but i really do appreciate everyone's input.

7. gorrell

gorrell LawnSite Senior Member

For your information, a B78 belt is NOT 78" long. It's 80" I believe. They are not the same length as the number indicates..............Lynn
  8. HayBay

HayBay LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ontario

B78 belt is 79.8".

Gorrell was basically right on.

That may be your problem with the belt tensions.

Bring your old belt to the store and have them measure it, its the outer diameter they go by. You want a belt with a Kevlar or Amarid (spelling) wrap on it. More durable when used on Tension Pulleys.