Dixie Chooper

Discussion in 'Tractors' started by lawnguy5, Aug 3, 2004.

1. lawnguy5

lawnguy5 LawnSite Member
    from PA

Currently I own 2 ZT225 Grasshooper's and I am thinking about switching and buying a Dixie Chooper I was told that they are a better machine than Grasshopper. I was wondering if anyone uses dixies and what has been your biggest problems with them if any at all.

2. fastcutter

fastcutter LawnSite Member
    from west tn

Why do you not like the Grasshoppers? I got 3 Grasshopper[321D 61 ,428D 61 ,428D 71] Love them... I had John Deeres,Exmark,Choppers,Toro,Bunton...

3. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

I had a 60" DC, as well as two Grasshopper midmounts. The DC is now sold, after one season. The Grasshoppers ride and handle much smoother than the DC did. In the grasses I mow, they mowed as well as, and usually better than the DC. The DC had terrible blowout from the deck. I was always covered in dust and dirt after running the DC. Never had that problem with the Grasshoppers. The DC was faster than the Grasshoppers, but my properties are mostly somewhat rough, and you could not utilize the speed of the DC, if you wanted to stay in the seat.
    The DC machines will not hold any kind of hill. The grasshoppers are great at holding hillsides. This is my opinion based on my experience.
    I am now selling lawn equipment as well as mowing. I had a chance to sell DC's. I turned that down, and sell Grasshoppers instead. I feel they are overall superior so the DC machines, at least for our mowing conditions here.

4. robertyb

robertyb LawnSite Member
    from ga

My lawn service uses DCs and Grasshoppers. They fight over who gets the Grasshoppers first. The loser gets the DC. I have noticed over the years that they change a lot of machines out but they ALWAYS have a Grasshopper on the trailer.

5. lawnguy5

lawnguy5 LawnSite Member
    from PA

Thank you all for the responce. I was just thinking about changing because I had heard that DC's were faster. But if they don't cut better or hold hills their not the mower for me. Thank you again. Lawnguy

KEEP MAKING GODS CREATION BEAUTIFUL

6. w900okla

w900okla LawnSite Member

I own a 60in flatlander with a 100 hrs and i dont think u can find a beter mower than a DC also have 50in Dixon but the choper will run 13mph and cut it nice . w900okla@aol.com

7. msd_woody

msd_woody LawnSite Member

DC's no good on hills? So far, it's the second best thing I have ever used on hills. The best was a Steiner articulating tractor. My DC never even begins to slide when mowing the banks of ponds. It's great mwing up and down and across. The only thing it can't do is back up hills, but I prefer to mow forwards anyway!

8. Mgardner

Mgardner LawnSite Member

I have owned a 60" DC Flatlander for three years of hard service. Its carring a Trac Vac full time and I dethatch with it. It saves me hundreds of man hours a season and the next Chopper will be a deisel.

9. sdog882007

sdog882007 LawnSite Member

I am either looking at getting an Exmark or a Dixie Chopper, which would you recomend. I was kinda looking at getting the XT3000 (dixie) with the 60" cut, or a comperable Exmark unit. Which ZTR should i go with? If there are any negatives about either machine please tell me
    Thank you
    Steve

10. grassguru32

grassguru32 LawnSite Member

I have a new 50hr dc and 60" exmark with 400hr the exmark by far is a better mower.The exmark cuts and hold hills better than the dc and it cost less the only thing good about the dc is its fast.