Dixie Chopper 34"ztr problems!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Finishing Touch, Jul 1, 2007.

1. Finishing Touch

Finishing Touch LawnSite Member
    from florida

Im located in Palm Coast, Fl and when I had entered into the buisness last year I was looking to purchase an exmark walk behind and ended up this 34" dixie chopper ztr. I was looking to save some money . What a mistake... Now that its peak season here Ive really been able to put my chopper to the test. Ive had nothing but problems with the quality of cut with this machine. My dealer told me dixie chopper had a mulch kit and that it I wouldnt have a problem with getting it to mulch. Well come to find out dixie chopper doesnt make a mulch kit with baffles. Ive purchased the OCDC chute and gator blades and neither do much in regard to mulching. Ive also noticed that the mower has poor vacuum due to the blades being mounted below the deck and now its leaving strips of uncut grass.All of the clippings get pushed to the chute side and fall to the ground. Basicly im having to go back and rake up clippings and spending 45 minutes plus per lawn. Its way to time consuming. Ive called dixie chopper directly and they told me that they dont know what the fix is. My dealer placed a bracket under the mower and basicly make an "X" blade and said to try this, well long story short it doesnt improve the cut or mulching at all. It shreads the grass and doesnt cut it at all. Ive told the dealer this is unacceptable due too the mower only having 30hrs and not even being a year old, it doesnt perform to even the dealers specs. Ive had it with all this and my next move is to force dixie chopper and my dealer purchase the mower back. My dealer does recognize that this is his problem but i doubt he wants to buy it back... whats the next move with all of this?

2. lifetree

lifetree LawnSite Fanatic

If the dealer wanted to be technical about it he would be within his rights not to take the mower back. Usually, when someone buys a new machine like that from a dealer it's sold with the warranty, but without the benefit of the possibility of return. I know because I tried with a mower that I bought in a similar sitaution ... the machine didn't perform up to specs.

Long story short, the dealer refused to take it back. You may just have to bite the bullet and trade it for another brand of mower ... good luck !!
  3. fiveoboy01

fiveoboy01 LawnSite Silver Member

The blades sit lower than the bottom edge of the deck? Is that what you're saying?

That does NOT sound right. Does your machine have through-bolts for the spindles and spacers to adjust blade height, ala Skag?