1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Dixie Chopper 50 hp Yanmar diesel

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Ursushorribilus, Jul 10, 2004.

1. Ursushorribilus

Ursushorribilus LawnSite Member

Does anyone own, or has demoed the 50 hp Yanmar diesel Dixie Chopper? What do you think of it? How do you like the extra horsepower?
  2. TMlawncare

TMlawncare LawnSite Bronze Member

I own one, great machine but has the usual dixie quirks-seat safety switch(won't run unless your in the seat), poor poor parking brake, deck lift (better practice your leg exercises), siren (wake the dead two blocks away). These are just quirks, the power and fuel economy are great as is its handling of hills and slopes best of any ztr I have ever used. The VTC hydros are the smoothest in the industry. However, the new silver mowing decks are the worst decks ever designed. They leave a uncut strip between the center and the right side cutting chambers. Sometimes the right and left. Dixie owner refer to it as streaking. You have to double cut everthing because its the only way to get rid of the strip. Also, the deck has a bad tendency to clump in wet grass. Wait for a new deck design buy a different mower..
  3. Ursushorribilus

Ursushorribilus LawnSite Member

Thanks TM, for the honest info. I would definitely wait now. Are there plans for a new deck anytime soon that you know of?
  4. imograss

imograss LawnSite Senior Member

Most people won't give any negative info on a mower they own. I appreciate your honesty and heads up.
  5. TMlawncare

TMlawncare LawnSite Bronze Member

I have so many mixed opinions on this mower. First it cost around 15k, so you can't just park it. Its really smooth and fast and a pleasure to operate. However, everytime I start on a yard all a see is this strip that won't go away. It happens on tall, short, wet, dry, lush, weedy and all other types of cool season grass conditions. When I start mowing all I think about is how could they overlook this problem. Since I have owned it I tried all blade combinations known, did the dixie deck modifications, put in the new nose cone, installed the antiblowout baffles and it all didn't help one little bit. Its a fine machine but if it streaks when you mow you need to take a long hard look what else is available. Heck one of my customers neighbors has a year old mtd, it doesn't streak it cost $799.
  6. gorrell

gorrell LawnSite Senior Member

I've got 3 50 hp diesels and a 26 hp diesel, all with 72" decks, and none of my exhibit the streaking problem........go figure..............Lynn
  7. bayfish

bayfish LawnSite Senior Member

Holy cow! You must cut a huge amount of grass to pay for those rigs.