Dixie Chopper.....any good?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by kevinlane, Jul 3, 2007.

1. kevinlane

kevinlane LawnSite Senior Member

Anyone know anything about the WB36 Dixie Chopper? Is it any good? Dealer has a good buy on it right, just wondering if anyone has a dixie and can tell me the pros and cons. Thanks

here's the link. :gunsfirin

http://www.dixiechopper.com/models_WB.php

2. kevinlane

No one in this biz uses Dixie Chopper?

3. KTO Enterprises

KTO Enterprises LawnSite Bronze Member

Over rated bucked of sheezy. Terrible factory to dealer parts program and support, so guess who that affects.

If I had to name a top 3 overall good use Z would be.
    1 scag
    2 snapper pro
    3 Grasshopper

Walker makes an excellent mower although I would only recommend using it on High end yards with no sand and good turfgrass, not crap grass.

4. DiyDave

DiyDave LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a year old Dixie chopper rider with the 28 HP efi Kohler. Aside from eating the engine to deck belt at 250 hrs, I haven't put any other part (other than filters) into it. I Don't know about the other model of which you speak, but my Dixie Chopper beats the hell out of the POS Gravely I ran for 10 years, and the dealer service is better-Get this he actually has belts in stock, and you don't have to wait a week or 10 days to get the belts to the dealer, like with Gravely!:cool2: :cool2:

5. kevinlane

ok this is getting good keep the input coming, tks bruthas for your input so far.

6. S.W.T.1975

S.W.T.1975 LawnSite Member

I've got a 50'' Dixie Chopper. It works for me, but I'd probably not buy another one. It seems Dixie became popular back in the day and then quit trying to improve on the design....buy a toro, scag, exmark, etc.

7. lifetree

lifetree LawnSite Fanatic

Dixie Chopper is way over priced, go with another brand ... take a look at Dixon !!

8. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

The walkbehind you are looking at is one of those cheap-built Chinese mowers. It is sold under many names, including Redhawk and Bradley.
    They just have them painted in D.C. colors.

9. tinman

tinman LawnSite Bronze Member
    from ga

I have 2 choppers which I like alot.... i also use a toro walk behind which I love but rarely use as it is not a rider:)

10. SkyLawncare

SkyLawncare LawnSite Member

I work for the county and they just bought us a brand new Gravely:

http://www.gravely.com/products/zeroturn/260MXDZ/

I think they paid around 7,000 for it. It's the only zero turn mower I've used, so I don't have much to compare it with but it certainly seems to be a good product. I think this particular one has a Kawasaki engine on it.

I think the quality of the Gravely is better than it used to be, but I have heard dealer service isn't as good as it could be.

[​IMG]