Dixie Chopper blades

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by CutsForLess, Oct 8, 2006.

1. CutsForLess

CutsForLess LawnSite Member

Has anybody here tried to sharpen the blades from dixie, they are hard as a rock, I mean I actually had to buy new blades because they could not be sharpened. Have yall ever seen blades this hard?

2. Uranus

Uranus LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mass

your going to catch hell for this post. what are you using to sharpen the blades with. nail cliper file?

3. CutsForLess

William I am using a piece of sandpaper, just kidding. I have tried a hand grinder and bench grinder, the problem is they get to hot and screws up the metal. I talked to the guy at the shop and he told me its easier to just buy new blades. The ones im talking about stayed sharp forever but when they got dull that was it they were worthless.

4. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

This is the first I've ever heard of anything like this about DC blade. I've used them for several years, and never had this situation. I DO know that if you have too fine of a wheel, or if it is glazed and needs to be re-dressed. that will make the blades hot, also.

5. fiveoboy01

fiveoboy01 LawnSite Silver Member

Well of course he's going to tell you this. If you're talking about the guy at the dealership that is.

Like Runner said, try a coarser grit wheel or dressing the one you have if it needs it.

6. CutsForLess

Fiveo the shop guy is a friend of mine he is not trying to get to me, I thought about that after I wrote it. He was just saying they are so hard that it is easier for a customer to buy new blades than to pay him to sharpen them. As far as me sharpening I will try what yall said and see if it helps, like I said I dont really mind buying new because the others stayed sharp so long, I dont feel like I am losing anything. I was just wondering if anybody found them to be unusually hard.

7. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

The only problem with this statement, is that new blades aren't even sharp. Oh sure - they have a good tip at the corner, but the actual cutting edge is dull - even AFTER the paint wears off. We ALWAYS sharpen our new blades not just for the sharpening, but for the balancing, as well. The only blades that I know of that are a bit harder to sharpen are the marbane coated blades. I've nevr known of any DC style blade like this, though. What brand of blades are these, do you know? Are they perhaps Anderson, or Oregon? Stens is another name on the blades, even thogh it is the same company as Oregon. It is possible that there are no markings on them at all.

8. CutsForLess

Runner I dont recall even seeing a marking on them, i might be wrong. As far as sharp even when I have sharpened blades I have never put a knife like edge on them I just mean not completely blunt if that makes sense. In my little bit of experience sharp as knife is not good, i just get them a little better than rounded on the edge. Does this make sense or does everybody sharpen them razor sharp?

9. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Well,..some people do it different, but I always get mine pretty sharp. They aren't always like razors, but I like to keep them pretty sharp. One or two days out of them, and they still stay pretty sharp.
    Anyway, get the coarsest softest wheel you can find for your grinder to do mower blades. This is what works best and is recommended. Also, get yourself a wheel dresser. This thing saves alot! I hope this helps.