Dixie Chopper choking out

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by lloyd6078, Aug 25, 2006.

1. lloyd6078

lloyd6078 LawnSite Member

We have a Dixie Chopper with a Kohler Command 22 engine that is 11 years old. It has been a great piece of equipment until recently. It is choking out under load. We have some fairly good hills that we have mowed with it, but now it doesn't want to pull them with the blades engaged. Our local service company replaced the carb, both coils, plugs, and wires. This did not resolve the issue. The engine was then taken down for inspection. Their were small signs of seepage around the gaskets on intake and exhaust and a small amount of carbon build up on the head. New gaskets and some cleaning took care of that, same results. The engine has 165 lbs of compression on each cylinder and is pulling 8 lbs of vacuum. If we remove the air intake hose from the carb, it runs like a champ. Could this be a governor issue, and if so, how do we adjust it? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Mark Lloyd

2. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

It does sound like the governor should be checked, Also the high speed should be adjusted around 3750 RPM no load.

CV Big Block Gov Adjustment.jpg

3. Jman

Jman LawnSite Member

On the side of the carb is a small cover held on with three screws. There is a vacuum line that runs from that cover to the top of the carb. Pinch it off with a small needle nose vice grips and run the engine. If it runs good, get an accelerator pump kit for the carb.

4. lloyd6078

We have adjusted the governor (there was a slight amount of movement) and confirmed with a hand held tach that the rpm is between 3600 and 3700. It is still choking out with blades engaged and climbing hills. In talking to local folks, I have heard everything from hydro pump going bad to change the muffler. We have also heard of another Dixie (here locally) showing the exact same symptoms. I hate to give up and use a machine until it dies, but we are at a loss to figure this thing out.

5. Restrorob

OK lloyd, Try this; On flat ground pull your unit up to the front tire of your truck, Give it full throttle and start moving the joysticks forward and see if the rear tires will dig a hole or the unit just sits there like slipping. That will test the hydro system.

Dixie pulls brand new units up to a fork-lift on a concrete floor and pins the sticks full bore until there is nothing left of the tires to test the hydro systems, So I'm sure this test for a few seconds will do no harm.

Also take a wash cloth size rag and hold the top corners about 1 1/2 ft. away from the muffler outlet, Run at full throttle and the exhaust should blow the rag away pretty good. If it doesn't there could be a baffle broke loose inside and restricting exhaust flow. I have a TX2800 in the shop right now that won't hardly run because of a baffle restriction.

6. Jim@MilkyWay

Jim@MilkyWay LawnSite Senior Member

Hey dudes N dudettes
    On my 3 duces Sting Ray, I used to have to synchronize the carbs using a cheapo air flow meter.
    Is there a simple air flow meter to hold tight to carb throat to let you know if engine is aspirating/breathing normally?
    I would assume that it does not make one bit of difference whether a restriction, if present, were at the intake or the exhaust. If engine is not moving the volume of air required for normal operation, it should show up with air flow check. Yes?; No?

7. Restrorob

Don't really know Jim, Never owned or been around a air flow meter to try one, I was using a shop rag but I've seen so many engines come in with this problem I can tell just by listening to it run as with the TX2800 in the shop now. :cool:

8. Jim@MilkyWay

Jim@MilkyWay LawnSite Senior Member

Yup.
    That is what experience can/will do. You know from the flap-O-the flag, how much air is being discharged from exhaust.
    Same thing for the flow meter. I did not get an actual volume reading when using it, but got a good indication that one carb was drawing noticeably more/less than another.
    I may dig up the old meter and see if I can play around with it.
    You don't even need multiple carbs. Just need to observe how far up scale the ball rides when all is well and good with engine, thereby having smething to compare to, when problem is suspected.
    If you think about it, this is precisely what the "change filter" gage/meter is, at the air intake of your diesels. Or at least that is how my power stroke is set up.
    Well, got's to go teach at the planet now, boys and girls. The good Dr. won't be there tonight, just me and one other dude. Hope we are not bombarded by students tonight.

9. lloyd6078

Hey folks,
    Everything seems normal. The Dixie is moving a bunch of air. One last thing, it is running noticably better since we got it back and started "tweaking" it ourselves. The only time it chokes out now is if we try going up a decent hill at full sticks. When we strated, it won't dream of climbing even at half sticks. The governor adjustment seems to have made the most improvement. Any more thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.

10. Restrorob

Did you perform the hydro. load test ? You may want to check the dump valves on the pumps for being closed fully. And I'm sure you have checked the hydro. belt and adjustment correct ? Whats the model number on this DC ?