Dixie Chopper DecK belt breaking

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by tinman, Apr 4, 2006.

1. tinman

tinman LawnSite Bronze Member
    from ga

50 " ... 20 horse power dixie chopper has broke 2 deck belts in about 200 hours. Everything appears to be working correctly. Any ideas>

2. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

What is the model number ? Are you installing a raw edge belt ?

3. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

There is an idler arm on the deck with a large spring attached to it. It's on the left side of the deck, has a pulley on it and it puts tension on the spindle to spindle belt. Remove the belt and the spring (replace the spring even if it looks good) and see if there is any play in the bushings or the pulley. A small amount of play is okay in the pulley. If that checks out remove the idler arm and see if it's bent.

My buddy just bought a Dixie with 400 hours on it and it was eating through spindle to spindle belts. He replaced all of the above parts and it fixed it. The previous owner had bent the idler arm somehow and he also replaced the pulley and the spring just as a precautionary measure. Under 100 bucks.

4. tinman

from ga

Thanks for the replies guys. I actually took it in for a new idler kit (free) ,, but it was for the engine to deck belt so it did me no good since that is the one belt that has not broken yet. So he gives me a different type spring & I try that. Well I mow for about 2 hours and the pump belt breaks:hammerhead: :dizzy: :cry: :drinkup: :drinkup: :drinkup: :drinkup: :drinkup: :drinkup: :drinkup: . So I have to take it back to have it checked out. Tuesday till I get it back. That has to be the biggest problem with mowing. Always something breaking. Always. The PITA customers , I can deal with. The heat, not too bad. But machines are what I depend on & it sux when they let me down. Especially anew mower.

5. tinman

from ga

DIWLT2000-50D. Raw edge belt???? Don't know.

6. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

See, Dixie's run what is called a Raw or Cut edge belt. Looking at the surface's that ride in the pulley groove you should be able to see the string embedded in the rubber. Just for instance your deck cross belt part # is 9907B112, The B112 is the belt size. So if you went to a auto parts store (NAPA) or a after-market mower parts company and asked for a B112 belt they will most likely give you a wrapped belt. Meaning it would be made in a different way and not as durable as the Raw edge and you wouldn't see the string in the running edge. So If you try to find a after-market company to purchase belts from make sure they are Raw or cut edge for maximum life.
    Is your Dealer keeping your unit so long because they had to order the parts ?
    I know down-time cost you Guys money so when my Commercial User's pull in the gate I drop what i'm doing and get right on their's. If by chance I don't have a needed part in stock I will go in the show-room and pull it off a new unit to get them back out mowing. Quick service yields a higher rate of returning equipment purchases.

7. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

It is not normal for a Dixie to break belts like that. I put over 1200 hours on my first Dixie before I replaced the belts on it (I kept them as spares) and my second Dixie is at 400 hours now with the original belts on it. I don't have a clue as to what could have broken the engine to pump belt unless it got caught on something or wasn't tensioned properly. When I got my second Dixie the engine to pump belt wasn't tensioned properly and the tensioner pulley was rubbing on the frame. I go over my mowers and set them up to my liking and check everything out when I buy them so I caught the loose belt before any damage occurred.

8. tinman

from ga

My old 60" chopper has never had belt trouble. So I hope they get it straight. I did not want to jerk with the tension settings as I would think I would mess something up. But I will definetly do that when I get it back.