1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Dixie Chopper Demo

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by ccl, Nov 4, 2006.

1. ccl

ccl LawnSite Member
    from ky

I dropped off my Exmark 60" Turf Tracer at the dealer today to have one of the hydros checked out, he also sells Dixie's and Cub Tank's, I told him I would be in the market for a new ZTR in the spring. The only demo he had was a Dixie 2703, 60" deck & 27 HP Generac engine. I thought I would give it a try, although I have read alot of mixed reviews about them and have never really been impressed with the looks. Well to say I was unimpressed is an understatment, I felt like I was riding on a death trap. I couldn't get it on a slope more than 10 degrees, absolutely terrrible on the slightest bit of a slope, the seat height and center of gravity is way to high, I felt like I was standing up while I was mowing. It rode like a wagon, cut quality wasn't that great and grass dispersal wasn't any better. Hated the Velvet Touch steering, it is way to sensitive, and those tires are are terrible, it didn't matter how careful I was I was still getting turf damage on turns, even with 3 point turns, the tread pattern is just too aggressive. Didn't like the electric deck lift, I like being able to raise and lower the deck quickly with a foot pedal instead of having to stop and raise and then stop and lower it back down. I really didn't mind the manual blade engagment, one less thing to go wrong. The only thing I was somewhat impressed with was the Generac engine, I went through some thick grass with some wet leaves to see if it bogged the motor, to my suprise it hardly pulled on the motor at all. We lined it up side by side with my Super Z, no comparison, better cut, better clipping dispersal, basically better everything. Not trying to offend any Dixie owners, but I've owned alot of different brands over the years, Exmark, Scag, Grasshopper and Hustler, I honestly can't see why anyone would want to use these mowers, unless you were mowing nothing but completely flat lawns. I just couldn't believe how poorly this mower performed, especially in the light mowing conditions I used it on.
  2. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

Soooo....are you saying you didn't like it?
  3. ccl

ccl LawnSite Member
    from ky

Yeah, I guess you could say that. Just didn't come anywhere close to my expectations for a $8500.00 commercial lawn mower.
  4. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

A Dixie does take a bit of getting used to no doubt. I do regularly use mine on hills up to 20 degrees without fear of slipping down the hill. Most people won't buy a Dixie if they've used another brand for any time but most seasoned Dixie users wouldn't buy another brand either. A friend of mine who owns Exmarks bought a used Dixie back in the spring. All summer long he has been moaning and complaining that he didn't like the mower but just the other day he said that he was really starting to like the Dixie. If you're used to another brand it just takes more than a day in the seat of a Dixie to get comfortable with how they operate and steer.
  5. ProStreetCamaro

ProStreetCamaro LawnSite Platinum Member

2 weeks ago was the first time I had ever seen one being used. It was next door to one of our customers. It was leaving uncut strips of grass and clumps all over the place. It was wet out and both my lawn and the neighbors was fairly deep. My tank didnt leave any uncut grass nor did it leave any clumps. I can honestly say it was the worst cutting mower I had ever seen. It also looked like a fairly new mower. The machine was pretty clean and new looking.
  6. cclllc

cclllc LawnSite Senior Member

I have 2 Dc's myself and love them.Great on hills BUT the one he is describing is a piece of crap. I demoed one like it and it was like I'd never been on one. I think it was the tires.They were smaller than what I run.It seemed slower than mine too. Both of mine are '96 models.
  7. Lawnworks

Lawnworks LawnSite Fanatic
    from usa

I think the ealier models like you have are much better than the newer models. They are a much simpler machine... they don't have VTC or that electric deck lift crap. I have 2000 model much like the '96 models and it has been pretty reliable. I had 3 2003-2005 Dixies, and I have sold all of them and replaced them w/ a Scag and Hustler... much better mowers. I actually have had some pretty serious accidents w/ the newer models b/c of lack safety features and SUPER sensitive hydros. I would never ever buy another Dixie... even if it was a great deal.
  8. plantzpropertymanagement

plantzpropertymanagement LawnSite Member

Man i just baught me a dixie but ive only used it only a couple times, its back in the shop getting a bagger installed on it. The few times i used it i loved it but that might be cause im used to using a residential ztr cubcadet. This will be my first commercial mower, i hope i end up liking it? from what you guys say its horrible, Will have to see come spring. But you know what no mower is perfect.
  9. ccl

ccl LawnSite Member
    from ky

JKOOPERS LawnSite Bronze Member

i understand what he is saying every mower has their limits and you just have to get used to them .