1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Dixie Chopper diesel won't start.. after sharpening blades!!!???

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by mindstream, Jul 23, 2005.

1. mindstream

mindstream LawnSite Member

Hi all,

I have a Dixie Chopper XWD2600 Diesel and today I pulled it up on a ramp to remove the blades. It sat at a 30 degree angle front up in the air for about 30 minutes. I then tried to start it and nothing! I rolled it back off the ramp and let it sit for an hour and nothing. It will turn over but won't start. I bled the fuel system at the filter and at the injectors, and I have fuel flow. The tanks were 1/2 to 3/4 full, so I can't imagine how air could have got into the system anyway. Anybody have any idea what might be going on here? If I can't figure it out, I am going to have to winch that darn thing on a trailer and haul it to the dealer that's 50 miles away, and then I am down at least 2 days!!

Thanks for any suggestions.

2. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

I just went to my D.C. dealer website and I couldn't find a XWD2600 so I did a model # search and still came up empty handed. Is this a brand new 05 unit they just came out with ? They have a couple others and havn't added them to the website either.
    I did find a XXWD5000, I looked at this wiring schematic and noticed a mercury switch in line from the ignition switch to the fuel pump. This switch shuts the fuel pump off on too steep of a incline. Possibly your unit has the same and it is malfunctioning in some way not letting the fuel pump work.
    I do work for a Dixie dealer but I havn't had the opportunity to do any repairs on a diesel as of yet, But just maybe this will point to something since all you did is raise the front end.
    Sorry I can't help more.
  3. mindstream

Thanks for the reply. My chopper is 2000 or 2001 model. I had a reply from Dixie chopper service who suggested the mercury switch or a fuel solenoid. I don't think it is either of those since I have good amounts of fuel coming out of the air bleed screw by the injectors if I turn it over. I have given up and loaded it on the trailer. By the time I get it back, I may need to by a Dixie Chopper bailer to pull behind it as I mow.. :dizzy:

4. weve

weve LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from Central Illinois

It sounds like your are getting plenty of fuel. Last year mine would run out of fuel with tanks 1/2 to 3/4 full. The electronic fuel pump had gone bad and replacing it solved the problem.
  5. mindstream

I noticed you are in Central IL. Where about?

6. weve

weve LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from Central Illinois

I'm 15 miles south of Morton.
  7. bigcgillis

bigcgillis LawnSite Member

i have a dixie chopper xxwd 5000 72 inch. I just rebuilt the starter and after that she refuses to crank. The engine turns over but no fuel. I have verified getting fuel past the filter and water seperator, however nothing past the injector pump. I removed the fuel cut off soleniod and turned on the key. I have to help the soleniod move when the key is turned on but will go back to the off position by its self. Is this normal?
  8. BigFish

BigFish LawnSite Gold Member

It should retract smartly when voltage is applied.
  9. Trimstar

Trimstar LawnSite Member

I had same problem with a 2007 35hp 72 model sold it and guy bought has had something go bad twice