Dixie Chopper engine to deck belt HELP!!

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by MOOSE, Nov 14, 2005.

1. MOOSE

MOOSE LawnSite Senior Member

Dixie Chopper :help: Engine to Deck belt B85. Last thrusday my belt stretched out and put on a new one. Way to tight. Tried to adjust everything that could be adjusted. Bought another on Saturday. Same thing. You put it on and try to start engine and blades turn. Like I said I tried everything I could do to make it work. Right now I cant afford to take it to dealer and be out my mower. I have the collection system on it and use it all day. All Help would be appreciated. HELPPPPPPPPP!!!!!!

2. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

Are you sure it is the right belt, lol? The blades turn when you start the engine, holy crap, how did you get that thing on there? Are you sure the pto isnt sticking at all? Are there any tensioners on this thing? Sorry I am not familiar with the Dixie Choppers, but perhaps you could try to stretch the belt? maybe hook with chain to a tree, truck in reverse for a minute or two LOL?

3. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

The adjustment on this belt is moving the engine forward or backward with the adjuster on the back of the bumper. You want to make sure the PTO handle kind of snaps over when engaged. The trick to disengagement is the two belt guides on the rear by the drive pulley. Engage the deck and adjust these two guides to about 1/8" off the belt with a forward tilt on the top.
    Another problem I see when this happens is people buying a wrapped belt, You will never get a wrapped belt to disengage properly it MUST be a cut edge belt.

4. MOOSE

restrorob, the belt I tried on friday was a carisle belt. And the belt I bought saturday and tried this morning was a good year. The carisle belt seems to me to be a better belt meaning u can see the layer of reinforced belts compared to the goodyear belt. If I move the motor what about the tension on the hydro pump belt.

5. Restrorob

You need to reinstall the carisle belt, That is the same belt as factory. You can look down the hydro belt idler arm and it should be straight up and down, But can be as much as a 1/2" to the left. The key is the rear guides, Also I have had to engage the deck and let it run 15 or 20 minutes to heat the belt up to relieve the bend areas from being in the cardboard sleeve.

6. MOOSE

restrorob, the carisle belt I ordered off the internet cuz the dealer was selling the goodyears. The goodyear is the one that got stretched last week. I dont know anywhere to get another carisle belt. Can I try another goodyear from my autoparts store that is longer for this week until I get another carisle belt.

7. Restrorob

All You can do is try it but it is a what is called a wrapped belt and will not hold up. But it may get you a week. And I can't believe your dealer is selling these belts.

8. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

That sux big time, having to move the engine to put tension back on the belt lol...

9. Restrorob

It really doesn't, With the jack bolt system they have it can be done in 10 minutes or less and doesn't have to be done very often at all.