Dixie Chopper- Financial Problems?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by tb8100, Feb 18, 2008.

1. tb8100

tb8100 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from TX

I read a thread from a few months back that Dixie Chopper was having financial problems. Anybody have the scoop on this? Are they doing better now?

2. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

I don't think last year was a banner year for any ZTR manufacturer. At least not in the drought here in the South East. I hadn't heard of Dixies problems but there is a lot of competition around. Look at Everide.

3. tb8100

from TX

It was actually a thread on PPE Congress. Rumors of Exmark and Hustler trying to buy Dixie, Dixie going bankrupt, etc. Dunno about the validity of it. I could see Hustler or another 2nd tier company buy Dixie before you'd see a top tier company like Exmark (Toro?) try to buy them. Seems like the big guys have bigger fish to fry.

Last year was a banner year for Bad Boy Mowers. Sales were up 300%. :cool2:

4. MONTE

MONTE LawnSite Senior Member

Yeah I have heard this rumor for the last 10yrs. around here all the dealers will say anything to sell a mower! They also say here that Encore is bankrupt and the dealer I deal with is bankrupt!

5. tb8100

from TX

but why would there be a thread about it on PPE Congress. I mean, I don't take everything I read as gospel, but they're not exactly trying to sell eachother mowers on there.

6. tacoma200

That's not that uncommon for a new company promoting themselves as well as Bad Boy. At the Expo in 2006 Bad Boy and Exmark had the two most popular outdoor testing area's. Bad Boy is doing a great job promoting their product. What surprises me is the way some company's just do not promote their products. The Scag, Grasshopper, and many other displays at Expo were pitiful in comparison. Advertising, promotion and ultimately building a great product pays. I really don't see Bad Boy catching Exmark/Toro, John Deere or Scag in sales anytime soon. But then again no one had heard of Exmark and a few years later Toro was tripping all over it's self to buy them.

Word of mouth is great but it doesn't compare to a good promotional campaign these days.

Hustler has also done a great job promoting and done a great job with coming out with some new innovations such as the flex forks, speed, and comfortable seating options but I'm still not crazy about the deck.

7. tb8100

from TX

Oh, there's no question, there are alot of under (and over) rated mowers out there. Bad Boy is grossly underrated. As creative as their marketing has been, I would really like to see them get away from some of the more or less cheesy kinds of advertising and get a little more serious. They really don't play their product up like they need to, and I had to really dig to get some crucial tech specs that are important selling features (such as spindle construction, types of bearings on front casters, etc.)

Will Bad Boy ever overtake Exmark? They could, but not until they enter the WB market. I've told them this numerous times, but that's not really a direction they want to go. I keep telling them that if they want to take a significant slice of the commercial market pie, they need at least wide area walks.

Bad Boy could really change this mower industry if they could get a larger dealer network and if they made a few subtle refinements to their already solid mower lineup. They're definitely leading the pack in the realm of HP and creature comforts at any given price point.

I'm curious where Hustler is in sales compared to Scag, Toro, and Exmark. Is there a site you can go to and see how each of these companies are doing? Are any of them public companies?

8. tacoma200

I'm not sure how Hustler fares compared to Toro/Exmark or Scag. They have probably gained market share the last few years but still probably lag somewhat behind and have had some growing pains. They have a very limited dealer network here. I don't think the Triton helped Exmark but they still probably hold the lead. Of course I consider Toro /Exmark the same way I do GMC and Chevy (same company but still compete). If Bad Boy builds a quality reputation they will no doubt continue to grow. Brand loyalty is strong in this business though and your point about dealer networks is crucial. I mean John Deere already had a strong network in place and this has helped them tremendously.

I think Idea's like John Deere's green fleet were a great, you can get everything at one place in the John Deere brand right down to hand held equipment. Like wise if you own Brands such as Exmark you can get everything from a 21" right up to a Diesel ZTR in the same brand. Same for some other company's as well. Toro, Scag, etc.

9. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Heck Daimler-Chrysler's been bankruptizing for the past 20 years but somehow their cars still come off the line, then one day I think they bought Lamborghini or some such thing like where'd they get the money for that I dunno, wth.

I might say it's a good sign they don't pay a lot of money to their workers, and their product costs a little much...
    It all plays into that big bad plan of the mega corporation that's been around so long and the whole thing is just one big rigmarole that don't make sense to nobody anymore, so don't ask me.

10. MONTE

MONTE LawnSite Senior Member

So how many mowers did bad boy sell then?