1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Dixie Chopper Help Needed - Drives ?

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by ocholagos, May 10, 2013.

1. ocholagos

ocholagos LawnSite Member

Has unit serviced 30 hours ago. The left steering handle was a little hard to move forward and back. Yesterday it broke loose, and now it wont turn sharp and makes a noise. I checked fluid and its full, but to me , looks thin. Think they changed it with hydraulic fluid instead of 50 weight oil ? Hoping its not wheel motors or drives ? Have any ideas what's going on ?

2. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Well....... Dixie's don't use hydraulic oil nor 50 weight oil, They use 20w40 or 20w50 engine oil. But it sounds like you have issues unrelated to oil.

A machine model and serial number would be helpful to go further.......

3. ocholagos

ocholagos LawnSite Member

20-50 weight oil is what I meant, its a 4000 series with no serial number that I can read. that's the dual engine machine

4. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Remove the control linkage clevis from the hydro pump lever on each side, Check the movement and travel along with stiffness on the joysticks. If they feel the same do the same test on the pump levers checking for stiffness/binding, Also see if both are moving the same distance forward and reverse. Something could have happened with the trunnion inside the pump......