1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Dixie Chopper Help

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by dgrego, Apr 18, 2005.

1. dgrego

dgrego LawnSite Member
    from midwest

As of last week I'm a proud owner of a new coatesville classic, sort of. While at home it was noticed that the idler pulley interferes with the metal fan that sits on top the center spindle when the blades are engaged.

The dealership that sold me the mower refuses to pick up the mower for repair. They claim they do not pick-up and deliver mowers, however, last Friday the shop was closed early due to the dealership delivering mowers. The mower was delivered to me by an LCO that was going my way. A very nice guy mind you. He's the one that noticed the problem and told my to have the dealership pick-up the mower asap. I feel like I made a pack with the devil with this dealership.

I emailed Dixie Chopper about the the mower problem and the poor dealership customer support and service. No response! I currently have a $6500.00 boat anchor in my garage. I suppose my next recourse is the local BBB, but I just hate going there.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

2. bigz1001

bigz1001 LawnSite Member

Would like some clarification on how it is interfering with it.
  3. MJLsLawnCareNmoreLLC

MJLsLawnCareNmoreLLC LawnSite Senior Member

Some pictures of the problem will help us a lot too if you can get them.
  4. MJLsLawnCareNmoreLLC

MJLsLawnCareNmoreLLC LawnSite Senior Member

After my last post and thinking about what you posted I kind of wondered why you should even have to fix it yourself. If its a brand new mower and there is a problem the dealer should fix it. Its not like its something you did to it. I would tell the dealer either fix it or your returning it.
  5. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

If its legal (most places are 3 days i think) i would return it. Pay someone to take it back and get your money. They are never going to help you with anything.
  6. bplawncare

bplawncare LawnSite Member

u shouldve bought a great dane 61 in rider
  7. dgrego

dgrego LawnSite Member
    from midwest

My problem is on the 50" deck. I never seen the problem when the mover was running, but my neighbor who's been using DCs for 17 years looked at it and he verified what the LCO told me.

On delivery the LCO took my through the mower operation while mowing my front yard. There was intermittent metal on medal grinding noise being made from the deck area while mowing at 2800 rpms. When the throttle was maxed at around 3400 rpms the intermittent noise became a constant noise.

When the deck was exposed you could see the wear marks on the medal fan and idler pulley. With the blades are engaged the idler pulley moves up very close to the fan blades with the mower off. It wouldn't be much for me to assume that with normal vibration of the blade rotation that the idle pulley could vibrate into the fan.
  8. dgrego

dgrego LawnSite Member
    from midwest

When my neighbor and I discussed the problem and the dealership he also recommended returning it for a full and complete refund, but I had the mower one day past 72 hours. Good idea anyway. I couldn't even imagine the grief this dealership would have given my if I had shown up for a refund with in the 72 hour time frame.
  9. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

If you knew the dealer did not pick up or deliver, then that part of the problem is your's. I bet they will fix it right up if you take it back in.
    You need to post this over on the other forum that is sponsered by dixie Chopper. I don't think I am allowed to mention the website here, so email me and I will give it to you. I know you will get a response from the factory over there. My email is jthomasmet@verizon.net
  10. bigz1001

bigz1001 LawnSite Member

I would suggest that you find someone to take the mower to the dealer for you. Is it the dealer's responsibility to pick the mower up for service? No, I don't really think so. Your complaint isn't that the dealer isn't willing to fix the mower, it is that you went head first and purchased a mower that you are unable to transport on your own due to it's size and now the dealer will not come pick the mower up, repair it, and then drop it off once again. It's not a lack of service.