1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

dixie chopper honda engine

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by BOBSTER31, Aug 19, 2001.

1. BOBSTER31

BOBSTER31 LawnSite Member

Does anyone no much about the honda engine on the dixie chopper i was told it is real torky. I wonder how it will hold up. Anyone have one out there with a few hours on it they can comment on
  2. trimmasters

trimmasters LawnSite Senior Member

I cant speak for that particular mower, But I can say all our smaller equipment with Honda engine's have been vary reliable
  3. Guido

Guido LawnSite Silver Member

and say I have no clue about that particular engine on that piece of equipment, but we have Honda engines on our pavement routers, pavement saw's and concrete screeds and they hold up to everything we give them!

They're tough and always have ran great for me for thousands and thousands of hours!
  4. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

I know a couple of guys that have them. Bill Parish is a member here (Fine Lines Lawn) and he has one with about 300 hours on it, if I remember correctly. He loves it. I did test one out and it has a lot of torque for a 24 hp.

The only down fall is it doesn't come with a Donaldson or an Amsoil filter, but it does come with a decent air filter that just came out for it. The way that Honda is set up, Honda said it wouldn't pass the California Emissions with the Donaldson and they wouldn't allow the Amsoil Bypass filter since their motor didn't have enough oil pressure to push it through the 1 micron filter. I think I got that all correct. :)

It still seems like a good set up though. ;)

Demo one and let us know what you think of it.

WREBELMACHINE LawnSite Bronze Member

I think the honda engine idea is to new to tell. I have a friend who bought a honda powered dixie about three weeks ago. He has been haveing a problem with the engine blowing oil on his air filter. however as far as running he says it's plenty strong and seems to have just as much power as his 25hp kohler.
  6. Chip

Chip LawnSite Member

Wrebelmachine tell your friend there is a fix for the oil problem. I had the same problem and so did a few other machines I was told. My dealer fixed the problem and since then It has been running great. I have a little over 200 hrs on my machine.
  7. Ive have heard nothing but great reviews with the honda in the dixie.I have a few honda engines one in a com pressure washer and a 21 walkbehind .And they run great.Plus if dixie is going to put it in their product.They sure wouldnt want to screw up a great product
  8. gorrell

gorrell LawnSite Senior Member

Everything breaks! A friend of mine was using a new DC with the 24 Honda and the governor stuck wide open and trashed the motor before he could get it shut down. I'm not knocking Honda, they make a very nice product, but it proves one thing. Everything breaks down sooner or later, no matter who the manufacturer is....................Lynn
  9. John DiMartino

John DiMartino LawnSite Silver Member

Lynn,all my small Kawasaki engines have Rpm limiters,they cut in at 4200,to save the engine.When we want to go fast,we set them up at 4100 no load ,and they cut out down hills.Honda should have built a safe limit into the ignition system to protect themselves from overrevving warranty claims.Id like to see the shrapnel that came out of(or through) the honda's crankcase after that governor malfunction.