Dixie Chopper??? How does this compare to scag or exmark?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by clydesdale, Jun 10, 2005.

1. clydesdale

clydesdale LawnSite Senior Member

I have never heard of this brand. I hear this is what yankee stadium uses. What are your thoughts on this brand? What is their pricing like? I have NEVER seen one of these on a landscaper's truck or trailer. Thanks

2. The mayor

The mayor LawnSite Senior Member

I have one. I think it is a great mower. But then again so is scag and exmark. I am more into the dealer support. My dealer has a 24 hour turn around on down time. Nobody wants to be down for a week on a main mower.

3. txlawnking

txlawnking LawnSite Bronze Member

As far as sit down ZTR mowers go, a Dixie would be my first choice..But it really depends a lot on the dealer.. I wouldn't snub a Toro 588 w/ the Turbo force deck, or one of the Big Scag's either though.. Demo them all and make an educated decision. Nothing is worse than spending $7-10k on a mower only to discover that every one on Lawnsite's opinion is different than yours..

Then again, If I were going to buy anything other than a 21" mower, I'd be getting a 32-36" Stander.. That's what works for me. In my business plan, and market.

4. fel

fel LawnSite Member
    from Jax Fl

I don't have one but have used one in the past several times, my brother in law and some friends have them and in my opinion they are a top of the line mower, supposed to have the fastest blade speed, so I am told.
    Bottom line is it is all about personal preference, I have a Hustler but there are many quality mowers out there such as Scag, Toro, Exmark, Walker and others, I would try as many as you can before you lay down the cash, what I like or the next guy does you may not.

5. kellroy

kellroy LawnSite Member

clydesdale just bought an x mark lazer z 52 inch been using walkers for 15 years , great mower smooth ride easy to adjust higth and really fast, and have a local dealer with great service , I'd try to demo others if there was a dealer close and offered fast, good service

kellroy patience my a$$ i'm going to cut something :cool2:

6. MMLawn

MMLawn LawnSite Gold Member

Ditto here too. I'm sure they are a good mower but I don't even think there is a dealer around here, at least I have never seen one. What you see here are a lot of eXmarks, Toro's and Walkers some Scag's and JD and a very small handfull of Hustlers.

7. tshank

tshank LawnSite Member

Elkin and Mt. Airy.

8. mhunt

mhunt LawnSite Member
    from SE

i'm pretty sure they'd use reel mowers for the top notch turf of a baseball field.

9. vipermanz

vipermanz LawnSite Bronze Member

I hear that dixies can't hold a hill very well, i myself have ony used exmarks and walkers. i think the walker (20/42) holds hills the best, but the exmark (27/60) has the best cut even at top speeds, though it might have been the walkers' blades weren't sharp

10. yamadooski

yamadooski LawnSite Senior Member

I have been using Dixie Crappers for 14 years now. Buy a new one every 2 years.
    This last month mine went in for repair and dealer gave me an Exmark for a loaner.
    The Ex. leaves very little grass on top after the cut. The DC left grass all over the place and I would always have to double and triple mow.
    Plus the DC cuts 1/8" shorter on one side and took it to the deale 2 times and still not fixed.
    Plus on slopes it has a tendancy to slide and you have to back down the hill.
    If you go forwards it will slide and into the water you go.

Its in the paper as of this Monday and Im getting the new Ex. with the 31 hp.