dixie chopper is a cult

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by peewee, Aug 29, 2001.

1. peewee

peewee LawnSite Member

not really but I have a grievance to air. I am from Ontario and I have never seen a dc and it seems to me from my time on lawn site that they are an elite type of machine. I checked out the web site and man.... they're ugly! But in a cool kind of way..sort of like Harleys used to look a little archaic but cool. Anyway I checked the dealer directory and it wouldn't give me a dealer in ontario so I e mailed them to please let me know where a dealer is. No reply in over a week. So I e mail another adress they have on their website, been 3 freakin days now and no response. I get the feeling this make is more cult than substance. I read about other manufacturers going out of their way for lco's. Does dc do this for any of you? :p

2. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

We do not have a dixie, and only know about them thru what is posted here.

But I did go to their website, and I was able to find two dealers that are listed in Canada.

Click on dealers, and where it says to type in a two letter abbreviation, just type in the whole word Canada.

Two dealers come up. One in Quebec, and the other in Markham Ontario.

3. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

pee wee--dixies are real. I saw one in NASHVILLE a few weeks ago.

but there is not a dealer within 100 miles of me either!

GEO

4. bubble boy

bubble boy LawnSite Bronze Member

the dealer in markham is on Hwy. 48 (walker equiment ltd.) probably an hour from you. they dont seem to have many around in shop but they do apparently sell them.

really good dealer(i use him for summer and winter), they carry exmark, ferris, and snow equip so the drive might be worth it.

ill see if i can dig up the web site

5. Lawn DOG

Lawn DOG LawnSite Senior Member

If you go to Dixie Choppers home page it say's

"If within 30 days of your purchase, you find a machine of equal cut and horsepower, that will outperform the Dixie Chopper for full out production mowing, we'll gladly refund your money".

Try one day.

I called Dixie Chopper back one day after purchase and they
    said "it's yours now".

That would be ok. if this thing wasn't such a POS.
    Your right, there is a sort of fan club that loves the Chopper. Henry Ford also loved the model "T" Ford.
    He refused to make any changes and it became obsolite.

Dixie Chopper stands by there product. What a joke!
    Do yourself a favor and the good people of Ontario and keep this type of crap out of Canada.

I have purchased alot of equipment and have never had such an experience.

Sorry, Just couldn't stand hearing any more BS about how great Dixie Plopper is.

For those of you that feel the need to defend DC, please don't.
    I just wanted to share my feelings and don't want to turn this into a debate. I realize this will be hard for you DC lovers.

Thanks for letting me vent.

6. cantoo

cantoo LawnSite Silver Member

I looked at buying a Chopper last Spring and my wife wouldn't even look at it twice. I gotta agree with her, it isn't the best looking mower out there. The final deciding factor was too new here and no parts supply if needed. We also cut back on the number of lawns we do and didn't really need that mower.

7. vipermanz

vipermanz LawnSite Bronze Member

i'm suprised eric hasn't closed this one yet:cool:

8. David Gretzmier

David Gretzmier LawnSite Gold Member

I have heard others say the same about any mower lawn dog- maybe you need a dealer to fix some problems? most chopper folks do seem to worship thier machines, and honestly, If they perform like folks around here say, I'd love them too. Dave g

9. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

Why should I? As he said, he is venting. ;)

There are bad machines in every brand if you read all the posts here. I know I didn't get the only good ones and I've had several DC's and no lemons.

10. Lawn DOG

Lawn DOG LawnSite Senior Member

I may have been a little harsh.
    The mower is an awesome machine but not for the type of mowing I encounter. I am more upset with the way Dixie Chopper handled my situation. This does not make the mower a POS. Just the people I dealt with.

Thanks for letting me vent.