1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Dixie Chopper is Blowing me off!!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Xcellent Lawn, Jun 20, 2004.

1. Xcellent Lawn

Xcellent Lawn LawnSite Member

Listen to this....I bought a brand new dixie xw2303 60 inch (silver deck) in may of 2003. It has well under 1000 hours on it and is out of warranty about 1 month. I am the only one that drives this machine. It has been taken care of since day one by myself. Regular baths, oil changes, so on...About 2 weeks ago my machine started cutting uneven. Leaving a line lower on turns and on second passes. I first noticed it more on inlines and on hills. But after a while it got worse. I first turned and checked my tire pressure every minute adjusting it and nothing seemed to affect it. so I then measured the blades from deck to top blade and tried to level deck.. after making adjustments and finding no difference in the cutting I took it to my dealer and they spent hours with me by there side after hours trying to figure this problem out. Anyway, after takeing spindles off , leveling and measuring the deck over and over again and finding nothing to be damaged whatsoever they try to call there dixie rep to help with this problem. They were concernd of the deck being flexed in some way. The outer blades seem to be cutting lower than the middle blade but they all measure the same. The Rep first said to rig it and remove the out fiber washers and try that ...When that didnt work he said that we were on are own. Which means that with it being a month out of warranty that I will have to pay the dealer for a loaner mower to get my work done, also pay by the hour to have the deck completely disasembled and reasembled to see if something was set up wrong. and then possibly get a new shell for the mower which costs upwards of $1,000.00. Mind you that this mower is 1 season old. I do not want to blame my dealer for this I mean how can I expect them to do all of this for nothing. But dixie says that a silver deck has never flexed on its own and that I must have caused this in some way. Well I say come see my deck!!! There are no welds broke no bent spindles/ blades everything spins correctly. But to not warranty the work to find out what is wrong with the deck is completly bull...What is a warranty for factory defects correct?? Well if I was too run into a house and it was in warranty you wouldnt cover it Right?? This makes no sense to me....any help or suggestions...I will never buy a dixie chopper again if this is how they treat there first time customers. I bought the mower for no more headaches with old equiptment. I guess I bought the wrong machine...sorry for the long post..

Sean Mcclue With Xcellent Lawn Care
    Detroit Michigan
  2. K&F lawn

K&F lawn LawnSite Member

there is adjustments on the deck where the lift points are, held together by a chain. Over time the chain becomes strectched out and one side of the deck sits lower. We just had to do this on our older dixie. Check that and tighten it up and you should be good to go.

edit- sorry i just read the thread a better and see that you tried adjusting the deck with those points. Sorry.
  3. Xcellent Lawn

The dealer and myself went through deck adjusting, spindles, tire pressure, blades rpms, leveling the deck...they had it for 6 hours and they said they need to fully disassemble the deck and start from scratch.
  4. GeeVee

GeeVee LawnSite Senior Member

Not a great choice, but if they don't fix it, they wont charge you for it, eh?
  5. sawman65

sawman65 LawnSite Senior Member

dont try to adjust the chains replace the chains they are stretched only then you will be good to go
  6. Xcellent Lawn

I wish it was that easy...I just cant see a machine that is a yr old haveing chains that stretched. It seems as though both sides are cutting lower than the middle blade. Thanks for all of your suggestions...
  7. jt5019

jt5019 LawnSite Bronze Member

Seems to be a pretty well known problem i have seen the issue talked about a lot on another site.No real fix that i have seen.
  8. ztrx

ztrx LawnSite Member

With my years of experience working on ZTRs that is why they are called Dixie Choppers.All BS aside they CHOP the grass instead of cutting it!!!
  9. rotgg

rotgg LawnSite Member

if the two sides are cutting lower than the middle u must have bent a deck some how
  10. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

I know how you feel and i hope you fix it soon. Just a thought? Is the blade belt slipping on the outer blade pulleys. Or is the belt wrapped around the pulleys like when you got the mower.