Dixie Chopper, Is this the wrong forum?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by SUPERSPORT, May 9, 2007.

1. SUPERSPORT

SUPERSPORT LawnSite Member

I want to buy my first commercial mower. About a year or so ago I was researching online. I found what I thought was the biggest lawn forum, I thought it was this one.

After much reading I was convinced to buy a Dixie Chopper because that's all everyone was talking about. Now it's a new year so I wanted to look some more before I bought. I don't see anyone talking about DC.

Does no one have a DC here? Is there another big site I can't find? What other forums do you guys frequent? I never heard of DC till I read so much about them on that forum but so many people had them I was convinced to buy one.

2. Man

Man LawnSite Member

DC I looked at them, I wasnt that impressed... I went with a Ferris Instead and love it !!

3. slclawn

slclawn LawnSite Member
    from IN

I had a demo on a dixie and put 2 hours on it before the belt broke well i tried it again and broke something in the drive trane. So i stuck with deere and have verry little breakage no down time yet parts are there in one day or sooner. Good luck with what ever you choose.

4. Grits

Grits LawnSite Silver Member
    from Florida

Must have not been this forum. Some people on here run Dixie Choppers, but the majority doesn't care for them....at least that is the way it seems.

5. DBL

DBL LawnSite Silver Member

i got a dixie crapper and i hate hate hate hate it it cant go on any type of incline what so ever its is the worst ill take my exmarks over it anyday

6. DixieChopper88

DixieChopper88 LawnSite Member

Seems like bad luck has struck you guys, i bought a 27hp 60" have put around 75 hrs. on it haven't had one problem yet. You say that it can't go on an incline lets not exaggerate i've went on plenty of tough inclines, must be you can't work a machine, but hey what do i know

7. capelawncare.com

capelawncare.com LawnSite Fanatic

I just tested my bro in laws, 60in DC, It had plenty of power. It was very very fast. I do agree about the way it handles inclines. Overall though, dont think I would purchase one.

8. C&K

C&K LawnSite Senior Member
    from East TN

I have no personal experience on Dixie Choppers but two different dealers in my area that have DC and other brands both said they are fast but they would only use them if they were mowing mostly flat ground. They both recommended ferris and cub cadet over the DC for this area. High center of gravity and they said they wouldn't hold hills as good as the other popular brands like exmark, hustler, scag, cub cadet/lesco, ferris, everide which would all be good choices. These are the brands we looked at this year before we got a exmark lazer advantage series w/ 28hp and 60" ultracut deck. Very happy with our decision thus far, only 85 hours on it but has ran and cut perfectly.
    Talk to your dealers and see how their service is and then pick the product you like at the dealer you trust/like. Just my opinion.

9. kjslawn

kjslawn LawnSite Senior Member

I sold mine nothing but trouble. old technolgy everybody has past them by. I would stay away. I but an EVERIDE WARRIOR 54 " 25 Kaw and luv it.

10. 4curbappeal

4curbappeal LawnSite Senior Member

Dixie makes a decent mower, but like others have stated the other major companies have passed them up! If you are looking for speed you might look at Hustler. Actually, find out what your local dealers carry and demo all you can.