Dixie Chopper, Kubota, or MTD Pro

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by baldbeefman, Apr 19, 2001.

1. baldbeefman

baldbeefman LawnSite Member

I'm about to purchase a ZTR riding mower, so far most of my accounts are large commercial ones with lots of area to cover. The faster the better. Here is a list of the mowers that I can have serviced close by if needed.

I can get a 50" Dixie Chopper with a 19 HP Kawasaki for $5850.00 and a mulching kit for an extra $259.00 These are suppose to fast and no need for bagger. But is the 19 hp Kawasaki big enough? Also am I going to be disapointed that I didn't get a 60" deck?

I can get the new ZD21 60" Kubota with 21 HP Diesel for around $8700. I like the Diesel and tilt-up deck.

I can get last years model 60" MTD PRO with 25hp Kohler engine for $6700., I know a couple people who run these and have had good luck so far.

Any opinions?

[Edited by baldbeefman on 04-19-2001 at 12:09 PM]
  2. BigEd

BigEd LawnSite Senior Member
    from MD

The Dixie that you mentioned is the homeowner model,and it dont have the filter systems that the larger ones have.I would not recommend this for "large commercial" propertys

That is a real good price on the Kubota.Looks like a good machine except for the stamper deck.Plus you have the longevity of a Kubota diesel engine.

I dont know about the MTD.I dont know anyone with one.

I would go with the Kubota or a commercial grade Dixie.
  3. scottt

scottt LawnSite Senior Member

I have a 50" Dixie Chopper with a 20 hp Kohler and it has enough power until I cut grass about 6" high. So 19 hp should be enough under most conditions. I paid around $7000 for mine including the double blade adapter and ocdc. The only thing I don't like about it is that it doesn't have a floating deck. Other than that it's a great machine. If I could do it over again, I would buy a 60" deck.
  4. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

You should be able to find a new Dixie 60" with a 25 Kohler for the same amount as the Kubota.

As far as the actual machines go Kubota has a very good name but wether or not this hold true with this new machine still remains to be seen. The Kubota is a complex machine with an awful lot of moving parts and the weight to back it up. At 1216 pounds it is one of the heaviest machines avaliable. If you have to cut in damp conditions you might be wary of making ruts. The complexity of the machine will probably mean if something breaks you will need to get professional service.

The Dixie on the other hand is almost the opposite in terms of complexity and the weight backs that up. At 950 pounds it is one of the lightest mowers available. Where the Kubota has a multi-disc PTO (blade) engagement the Dixie has a simple lever operated idler. Also the Dixie uses a foot lift to raise and lower the deck. The Kubota uses hydraulics. The foot lift is very handy if you need to raise the deck for a second to go over a low lying object in the yard.

You mention a tilt-up deck on the Kubota. It actually has a system whereby you can raise the front of the mower up to 18 degrees according to their website.

About the MTD Pro mower. MTD thought so much of this mower that they stopped pushing it, painted it with some wacky paint scheme and now call it the Cub Cadet Tank. There have been some horror stories about this mower. Use the search function at the top of the page and do a search for MTD.
  5. baldbeefman

baldbeefman LawnSite Member

The Dixie Chopper dealer told me they supposedly ran out of Kohler Engines at the factory when this one was built and instead put this 19 hp Kawasaki engine in it, which is usually a $400 upgrade, and they are selling it for the same price. He thinks this 50" will hold up for me and is a great deal.
    So which Dixie would you get and with what options (mulching kit). And I've read that this model doesn't have a floating deck? I have one property that is 10 acres alone, should I go for the smaller deal or go ahead and spend the money on a 60"???
  6. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

Uh... Buy the 60", no doubt. The 60" will cut 5.00 acres per hour at 80% efficiency and the 50" will cut 4.2 acres per hour at 80% efficiency. By the time you're done cutting the 10 acres on the 60 the 50 will be heading into the last 2 acres.

If you <i>really</i> want to cut a lot of grass in a hurry you should look at the Dixie Chopper Flatlander. 72" at 13 mph = 7.8 acres per hour at 80% efficiency.
  7. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

I would get the 60" with the 23hp Kohler. If you get the XW2303, you get the good seat, OCDC, and the Donaldson Air Filter. It is around $7,000.

Richard, if he is getting the 50" for $5850, it has to be the commercial mower. The residential model is $4995 and has a red frame and a 17 Kaw engine.

You will kick yourself later for not getting the 60" since you will make up the difference in production to make up the difference in money between the 2.

I've been running Choppers since 93 and I have had great luck with them. I still run a 95 I bought in 94 with over 3200 hours on it and it is a main mower along with the 2001 diesel Chopper. To see lawns cut with them, click on my little red house below.

BTW, I would let the clippings fly. With double blades you can make it look like it is mulched. Mulching 10 acres is a bit much.
    Let us know what you decide. ;)

[Edited by Eric ELM on 04-19-2001 at 07:39 PM]
  8. John DiMartino

John DiMartino LawnSite Silver Member

Given your options,the Dixie is the best choice,but get a 60.I have one,with the 25 kohler-and if i were you,Id pay up to 500 more for the 24 honda engine-its new this year,and should be a nice upgrade from the 25Kohler,as far as power,refinement,and reliablitiy/longevity.I would not get a 50" or a kohler engine,It seems like Dixie is going away from Kohler,and in the last few years is using Kawi,and now Honda power-
  9. jasonp

jasonp LawnSite Member
    from Alabama

Kubota, there is nothing else to say. But I dont think you can get a 21/60 for that you might get the 18hp/60 for 8700.
    The multi disk deck engage should never wear out. Kubota spent alot of money gettin this ztr ready and had a testing model going for the last two years is what I have heard, to try and work all the bugs out I guess.
  10. Grateful11

Grateful11 LawnSite Member

Richard will be happy with this one. I'm also looking seriously at a ZTR. I've looked close at the Kubota but I paid close attention to the one piece transmission that someone else mentioned in an earlier thread. I showed it to a transmission rebuilder and fabricator and both commented on the fact that it's going to put a lot of stress on that long shaft out the side of the tranny and it would probably take out a seal pretty quick. Bare in mind that this is all speculation. But one thing wrong in that rear end and the whole things coming out not just a wheel motor like most. Knowing Kubota the thing has been tested and retested and it may never need to be a concern. But I'm looking for reliability and others experience on proven equipment. Anyway I've been looking when I had time this week. I found a dealer that got some pretty good prices. He's selling 52" 23hp Kawa. Bobcat ZT200 for $5900. and Z100 Toro 20hp Kohler with 52" for $5900. and Z255 Toro 25hp with 52" for $6376. If I decide to go the ZTR route I'm leaning towards the Bobcat. It's got a less bells and whistles but looks to be built like a tank. I haven't decided completely but who knows. After reading all the replies I may have to rethink the 52" for a 60". I would take a look at choppers but I'm don't want to drive 45-50 miles to the dealer nearest me.