Dixie Chopper model#2001:What is it?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Mowingman, Nov 9, 2001.

1. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

A nearby city is having an auction and one of the mowers listed is a "1992 Dixie Chopper,model#2001. I looked in some of my old DC sales literature and can't find that model. Can someone tell me what the basic specs were for that machine, (eng.,deck size,stainless or painted, etc.).

2. John DiMartino

John DiMartino LawnSite Silver Member

I had a 91 Dixie, it was an LX 2001.It had a 50" deck,painted steel everywhere,20hp kohler magnum.I also had a narrow track width,scarey on hills,and smaller 20" rear tires.I doubt any LCO would want a 92,so it should go cheap to a handy homeowner with a big lawn.

3. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

Mowingman

All models that ended in O1 were painted models, no stainless steel on them, as John said, up until 2001. The models that ended in 00 are stainless previous to 2002, now there are not any painted ones, all stainless.

You need to find out the first letters before the 2001. I had a XW2001 I bought new in 1994.

Here are what the letters in front of the numbers mean.

LX = 42" deck
    X = 50" deck
    XW = 60" deck
    XXW = 72" deck

John, if you had a LX with a 50" deck, that deck had to have been changed since that model originally had a 42" deck. No wonder it had a narrow frame. I've heard of guys putting 60" decks on a X frame, but not a 50" deck on a LX frame.

4. John DiMartino

Eric,it was a LX,it was very narrow,scarey on hills.The 50" deck looked like it belonged there,and there were no signs that it had been changed.I cant see why anyone would change it.Anything is possible though.I got in 2nd hand,you may be right,I wonder if back then,they put 50's on them,I know the older 50,and 60 used the same chassis width,so maybe the 42,and 50 did too for a while.Mine had the stamped deck too.

5. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

I guess anything is possible. In 1993, they came out with a wide rear wheel base and a narrow front wheel base on the 60", so they were doing some changing back then. Anyway, the LX is the 42" now, which means Little X. ;)

6. Mowingman

from Texas

Thanks guys for the info.Sounds like it's probably not a machine I would want, but if it were to go real cheap, I might bid on it. That old "auction fever" can set in real quick.

7. Mowingman

from Texas

John,
    Your description of this mower is right on the money. I looked at it today, and it sure looks tiny compared to todays Choppers. This one is a worn out piece of junk. I will not be bidding on it!!

8. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Probably the old chain drive? Stay away!

9. John DiMartino

No, the 92 isnt chain drive,its hydro,just like the new ones.It really isnt much different overall than the new ones,a lot of small details that add up to a big difference-if you know what Im trying to say.