1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Dixie Chopper mowers in input....

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by S&J LAWN, Aug 21, 2011.

1. S&J LAWN

S&J LAWN LawnSite Member

I'm think about buy a Dixie chopper and I like some input on them.. Cut? ride? pros? coms? do's? Dont? What model ? silver eagle? Classic? What motor?
  2. S&J LAWN

S&J LAWN LawnSite Member

I guess no one run them or cant buy one...No input,,,,
  3. rwaters

rwaters LawnSite Senior Member
    from Online

For every person that likes a mower you will find one that does not. The only real advice is get pumps and wheel motors and avoid the briggs(non Vanguard) and Kohler Courage engines if you want to use the commercially. I would look at more then one brand though and try them out to see what you like.
  4. cuttin-to-the-Max

cuttin-to-the-Max LawnSite Bronze Member

Well i used to have one and i loved it. They are american built strong and built for farmer type people. because mostly anything that goes out on them can be replaced at your local auto supply store. I had the 72" dual motor 2 generac motors equaling out to 64HP

Cut was ok But its a fast mower.

To be honest with you, you're the person who hs to decide on if you want to save time or Make the best cut.

These mowers dont cut as good as exmarks but they are definitely faster than exmarks!

New my mower went 18MPH
  5. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

I've liked the 2 that I've had. I've spent very, very little on repairs.
  6. S&J LAWN

S&J LAWN LawnSite Member

i have exmarks an the dealers here suck.... and the cut sucks also. I have run grasshopper and buntons.. they cut the best ... i have 3 dealers here for Dixie choppers and it time for me to replace some mowers... Im looking to buy 5 new ones.. asap..
  7. S&J LAWN

S&J LAWN LawnSite Member

What about the chain on the decks
    Posted via Mobile Device
  8. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

The chains will take a significant amount of downright abuse. Even if you were to snap a link you can always get a master link at any Harley dealer to fix it. I've never heard of someone breaking a chain though.
  9. mowyo

mowyo LawnSite Member

I have a 50" walk-behind and a 72" diesel .Three yrs. old now w 1200 hrs and they have been tough machines . My diesel rides very well (because its so heavy ). Just normal belts , blades, tires .Easy to work on ( you gonna be working on any of them ). Mine cut best with high - lift blades . Love the ocdc and have built them for my other mowers .
  10. S&J LAWN

S&J LAWN LawnSite Member

Well I've been in business for 21 years and I don't think there bees a mower built that has run forever...you have to work on them all. I have 4 ex ark zero turn all the same model am
    And same desk and one mower very very very well and the other mower like crap.....so it's in all of them. Thanks for the input.
    Posted via Mobile Device