Dixie Chopper "No Start"

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by sbcboy1, Jul 24, 2008.

1. sbcboy1

sbcboy1 LawnSite Member

I have a dixie chopper that has no spark. sometimes it starts and runs great for awhile and other times it will sit for days. Any thing i can try?

2. mowermankevin

mowermankevin LawnSite Senior Member

It must be cranking if you have tested for spark (how did you find the no spark?). A year,model # would be helpful also.

3. sbcboy1

sbcboy1 LawnSite Member

OKay. Sometimes it will start and run and then other times it just cranks with no spark. It has a kolher engine on it.

4. mowermankevin

SBC, do your initials have anything to do with being a Bell employee? If your a techie, can you troubleshoot with a volt-ohmeter? Sounds like a safety switch problem, (still a model # would help) The Dixies I work on are all older, 2001/ 2003 models, but what have you tried so far to rectify the problem?

5. sbcboy1

sbcboy1 LawnSite Member

i think its an 01-02 xw2600 60inch cut i replaced the full wiring harness.
    sbc stands for small block chevy and no im not bell pencil pusher lol.

6. mowermankevin

SMALL BLOCK, ALL THE WAY, HOORAY I built so many of those little jewels, my brother was into Rats, just too expensive, and not enough RPM's let alone trying to feed those monsters, anyway back to business, did the same problem exist before and after the wiring harness change? Still coming back to a safety switch dirty/corrosion/perhaps a terminal end wire coming out of the connector), there doesn't seem to be a reacurrent/ consistent/almost predictable time for this problem? Hot/Cold temp, wet/dry more input please, sign me 265,283,327,350 but not 400 c.i.

7. sbcboy1

sbcboy1 LawnSite Member

It was the seat safty switch i grounded it out and it started right up. Thank you.

8. mowermankevin

Yahoo, Ain't life sweet, drive that baby, any chance of a SBC on the Dixie?