Dixie Chopper Operators

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Pro-Lawn, Apr 22, 2002.

1. Pro-Lawn

Pro-Lawn LawnSite Member

My first year running Dixie Chopper Flatlander 50 in . How in the heck do you clean the top of the deck out. Grass builds up so easily and quickly. And its a b###h to clean out. Is there an easy fix? Looks like its bad news with the grass building up right there with the deck belt.
    Also , am i gona go thru blades quickly with this unit? Man ive barely ran one day and they were worn big time ! But i loved the cut and the stripe that it delivered was the best. Very satisfied with the unit, just tweakin it out .

Any help or input , much appreciated.
    Thanks
    Eric Goodwin

2. Likestomow

Likestomow LawnSite Senior Member

You are getting build up in your deck from the grass because it’s growing fast and it’s wet (lush). Try running a second blade above your hi-lift, like a Gator. If you still have trouble, install Dixie Chopper’s “Magic Mulchers”, a little chain device that spins at the top of the deck to help clear things out. The doubles will rob some torque, but I find it well worth it for a much nicer cut on one pass. I use them all the time.

About your worn blades, maybe you are mowing too low. Try removing the ½ inch spacer above the blades. Without it, your blades will be recessed a bit up into the deck. That will help keep them from hitting the ground and scalping.

Buy enough blades so you can put on a freshly sharpened set each day. You will have much better satisfaction with sharp blades each day. By the way, only the outter 1 inch needs to be sharp, so save your time and effort when sharpening.

3. 1grnlwn

1grnlwn LawnSite Bronze Member

Likestomow If the outter 1" is all that is needed for cutting, why is the whole cutting surface dull when you take them off?

4. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Pro-Lawn,

As for the grass buildup on TOP of the deck, blow it off with your blower! Dont worry about the belts, they'll be fine. Just dont get in the habbit of leaving grass buildup on the deck over night/over weekends/over winter, etc. It will eventually rust the deck, and decompose the belts.

As for the blades, only use DC blades, often times aftermarket blades are a mild steel and soft. Make sure that you are cutting at least 3" high. Any lower, and your sucking up too much debris, and scalping dirt! Also pickup all sticks and debris.

5. rwleigh

rwleigh Banned

Hey pro lawn just currious but are you having to double cut your nice yards like everyone else down here?

6. Pro-Lawn

Pro-Lawn LawnSite Member

Some i go over twice. Just where is nessesary. Mainly to chop it up more so it looks like its been bagged. So i can go home in good time without breaking out the walker ! Walker is a good unit, but when you got acres to cut , forget it . Let er fly !

I need to order about 3 sets of blades. Barely ran the chopper 40 hours and the blades are worn BAD ! I dont run over debri. Or try not to.

Eric Goodwin
    Pro-Lawncare.com