Dixie Chopper opinions

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by rdrap, Jun 20, 2004.

1. rdrap

rdrap LawnSite Member
    from Florida

Any opinions on Dixie Chopper mower equipment?

2. Norm Al

Norm Al LawnSite Bronze Member

best/fastest/ mower money can buy! well other than a walker rider if you need a good boat anchor!:)

3. rdrap

rdrap LawnSite Member
    from Florida

How do you think it compares to John Deere equipment?

4. Norm Al

JD riders are a completely differant animal!

slower/cost more/poor dealership support (in a general sense)

5. Steve1

Steve1 LawnSite Senior Member

Norm - do you mean the Dixie's cost more or that the Deere units cost more, have poor dealer support, etc?

I haven't seen that in my area - the Deere dealer nearest me is a very customer oriented dealership. He's brought three different demo's to me and his customers swear by him.

The local Dixie dealer is just the opposite. No personality at all and he is only concerned about his biggest commercial accounts, not the little guy.

As far as the product goes, I would buy the Deere (such as the 757) before I would the Dixie, especially after demo'ing both of them. Just my opinion of course, but in my view the Deere is a much more refined machine and has a much better cut. I demo'd a 72" 777 Deere and it cut better than the 60" Dixie I tried.

It really boils down to who's your better dealer and how the machine is set up. Demo both and see what you like, then you'll know which one is for you.

Good luck.

6. BareFootLawn

BareFootLawn LawnSite Member

Deere has a much better cut?
    Must not be taking care of your Dixie.
    Sharp blades, level deck, will make a hs athletic field look like a professional field in 1/2 the time.
    I don't get paid by the hour, I get paid by the job. I don't have time for John Deere. I did demo their products and bought Dixie Chopper.

7. txlawnking

txlawnking LawnSite Bronze Member

I really like the dixie's but I think they are just a little too proud of em' for my taste. But I may buy one when I need a warp speed mower!!!

8. Steve1

I don't have a Dixie. I demo'd one and was far from impressed by it.

I would buy the Deere way before the Dixie when it comes to dealers in my area.

9. Norm Al

JD obviously has good dealers!

but in a general sense if you have a servey done in all 50 states and had to put your mower in the shop to be repaired,,,,,>I THINK< you would find that 99% of the time the dixie would be returned to you faster/cheaper/and back to work!

i do think that the JD would break down less than the dixie BUT was it because its mowing less grass per week?

10. Steve1

The Dixie is a good product - obviously, they sell well. And whether you would get it back sooner or cheaper than from a Deere dealer is HIGHLY debateable. ;)

The DC's aren't the best out there nor are they the only good one out there - I think that has been well proven. But yes, they are certainly a good product.

The bottom line - on my grass, on the same day, in the same conditions, the Deere (757) flat out out-cut it and outperformed a demo Flatlander in every way except top speed which was a speed I doubt ANYone would ever mow at in a residential setting. And at the higher truly mow-able speeds, the Deere cut the grass cleaner and better than the Dixie chopped the grass.

Just my experiences, nothing more and nothing less. No survey needed here. :) I would rate the Deere much higher than the DC based on my experiences.