Dixie Chopper or Exmark

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by dhenegar, Apr 27, 2001.

1. dhenegar

dhenegar LawnSite Member

I am getting ready to trade my surfer in for either a chopper or a lazer. Not real sure which to get. I need something with a 52" to match the lazer that I have now. The lazer has been a execellent mower so far (450hrs), but I have heard alot of good things about Choppers. We just got a new dealer about 25 miles from my house and he seems like a real nice guy. Any pros and cons will be appreciated. Thanks

2. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

Dixie Choppers have been good to me and I highly recommend them. The only problem is, with the DC's you can't get a 52", it's either 50" or 60". The 50" will be close to the same width cut you now have. The 60" will be more stable on hills. Demo them both and decide. :)

3. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

get a comparable dixie . then at end of season, give us a report
    on your comparisons and how they stack up.
    sounds like you got a hankering to try one anyhow

4. Dave

Dave LawnSite Senior Member
    from RI

Is there a bobcat dealer in the area,chk out there prices
    as I think you won.t go wrong

5. Ssouth

Ssouth LawnSite Senior Member

Does DC make a 6' deck?

6. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

Yes, Available with gas or diesel eng.

7. Eric ELM

Ssouth, they make one with a 25 HP Kohler and a 72" deck, a 26 HP diesel 72", a 40 HP twin Engine 72" and a 50 HP diesel 72" model.

8. Ssouth

Ssouth LawnSite Senior Member

WOW!!!! 50 HP is insane but I like the idea of never enough power. The reason I was asking is because I'm looking for a 6' dedicated to side discharge for large properties. Is the 50 HP overkill and approx. how much do they go for. Just out of quriosity.

9. Eric ELM

I think they list for around $14,000, but some dealers will deal from what I've heard. One member told me he can get one for quite a bit less. I think it is actually a 48hp and it's a Yanmar with a Turbo on it. I don't think you can have to much power in the spring time. It is growing big time here now and I'm glad I have the 26 hp Yanmar on my 60". I just wish the doubles were quieter so I could hear that diesel purring better. ;)

Diesels do cost more, but the savings in fuel over the life span of a diesel and the savings on engine replacement(should outlast 3 gas engines)will save you enough to pay for it. We mow 3.5 days and I used 9.2 gallons of fuel this week in the diesel and close to 20 gallons in the other 60" gas Chopper.

10. Fine Lines Lawn

Fine Lines Lawn LawnSite Senior Member

Demo them both then decide. After your decision, I'm sure you'll enjoy your new Dixie :)