Dixie chopper or Exmark

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by galute, Apr 15, 2007.

1. galute

galute LawnSite Member

I have small business in va/nc doing lawn maintainence. I am considering purchasing a Dixie Chopper ZTR. Any suggestions or comments. Other brand considering is ExMark ZTR. Thanks

2. wolf man

wolf man LawnSite Member

Don't Buy Either Until You Cut With Both, Not Ride It In The Parking Lot But Cuttttttttt With Both, Too Many Decisions On Mower Purchases Being Made On The Show Room Instead Of The Grass Wheere The Money Is Made, I Know I Made The Mestake Years Ago...

3. 2 clowns mowing

2 clowns mowing LawnSite Senior Member

i agree, dealer will let you keep mower for a couple of days to make sure it will do the job for you. it's not easy finding the right mower such as will it cut and discharge grass in wet conditions, mow on hills? be big enough, warranty? extended warranty. don't buy on the spot the dealers don't know your job they will say anything to make a sale. you have to know more than they do for you can make a better judgment of what will work for you. demo's are great to get to know the different machines. try Ferris, John Deere, Rich mfg convertible mower, and other brands before deciding.:hammerhead:

4. dhardin53

dhardin53 LawnSite Senior Member

Both mower you are looking at are great mowers. I have a DC and love it. I have a question I ask all sales men. "how much is a replacement spindle?" the cost of parts can really make a difference. DC spindle is like under $70 some other units run as high as $125. granted you should not need many spindles but its a good way to get a feel for the manufactures. But you will need bearings over time and there is a good comparison as well.

Some of the reason I went with DC.
    1 -bigger hydros an wheel motors, I use pull behind mowers
    2 -60"deck 60" wheel base, better cut, just feels better on hills and slops
    3 -better service, they would come pick up my mower and bring me a unit to use till mine was fixed if needed
    4 -better parts and prices for parts, I do a lot of my own repairs
    5 - DC 10 miles away, Ex mark 35 miles away.

5. Frosty03

Frosty03 LawnSite Member

Exmark for me.

The dealer is about 2 miles from my house. I have smaller residentials, so I have a 36" and am getting either a 46" or a 50" Lazer HP. I am demoing mowers right now.

Demo all that you can.

I will tell this: That little 46" lazer HP with the 23 Kawasaki engine is amazing! IT will shoot through all of the thick stuff and while the 56" I demoed was wider, the 46" would mow the row and halfway back again while the 56" was turning around. Something to think about.

6. razor1

razor1 LawnSite Bronze Member

Dixie is probably a good machine but not enough dealers. (in MD)

I've always been happy with Exmark plus they have a good dealer and parts network. I wouldn't have 3 of them if they were'nt good.

"Landscape professionals prefer Exmark zero-turn riding lawnmowers 2 to 1 over the industry’s next leading brand."

http://pressroom.exmark.com/news_rel...10_release.htm

7. DBL

DBL LawnSite Silver Member

i have both an 03 lazer and and 05 dixie crapper....say no more