Dixie Chopper or Hustler super Z

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by REALSLOW, Jun 14, 2006.

1. REALSLOW

REALSLOW LawnSite Senior Member
    from FLORIDA

I have never really been a big Dixie fan but you can get them with huge power and this account I picked up you only mow it every 2 weeks in the summer so I wonder if the Hustler can hang with a 40 or 50 HP Chopper in this situation, I dought it?

2. TURF DOCTOR

TURF DOCTOR LawnSite Silver Member

What size deck,try a turf tiger 61 inch cut with a 35 lc vanguard .

3. REALSLOW

from FLORIDA

I need something bigger than that,I know the chopper has a 50HP 72.

I need something that is fast a hell and wont bog down in 2 week grass?

I love the Hustler but I think for this app they may be under powered ?

4. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

I would say they are underpowered for 2 weeks of Florida growth at top speed but should handle it at a reasonable speed. I think I would think a Dixe would be a better choice (just because of the engine size) even though I like the Hustler better.

5. hossmp

hossmp LawnSite Member

Ask your local dealers to demo the machines. I am not that familiar with the Dixie Choppers or the Hustler for that matter. I would suggest one thing, if you are affraid of bogging down look at something with a diesel! I have a Ferris IS5000 that I use for my fathers farm, he has 8 acres of grass that has to be cut. There is a section that is about 2 acres more that is a water retention area its very rough and only gets cut once every 2 weeks. The Cat Diesel has definatly impressed me. Ask to demo something in diesel from Hustler and you should be as impressed as I was with the diesel performance. I dont know if Dixie has a diesel offering. These bigger diesel machines with 72 inch decks arent really that great on manicured residential properties they are heavy so you have to be really careful about cutting after it rains compared to a lighter ZTR. Good Luck!

6. Yeah! What hossmp said. Diesel

I'll tell you I've been running a 25 hp diesel on a 72" deck for years and never lacked for power.

50 hp on a 72" is a waste. Yeah I know St Auguatine & Bermuda are harder to cut than bluegrass, but still...
    My 16' 580 only has 80hp.

I hear J Leno has a 1,000 hp motorcycle. Do you think he USES all 1,000 horses?

Dixie is just throwing numbers around. Don't buy this mower like you're shopping in a catalog. Try 'em.

I'll bet Hstler wins out. In certain models they have absolutely the best equipment out there.

Dave

7. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

I agree, don't buy until you test drive on the lot in question. Too much investment not to make sure. If they won't let you test it go somewhere they will.

8. TriCountyLawn

TriCountyLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

We run both a Dixie Chopper and A Hustler ( 72 Extreme and a 60" Super Z). The Hustler has a better cut however for bi weekly cuts and large commercial properties we use our Dixie with double blades.

Not sure on your budget however the Cat powerd Hustler will not let you down. You will have the best of both worlds , power and a great cut. The 33hp Extreme Dixie has a ton of power and will perform well also.

Your in a Win Win situation here , IMO I dont think you could go wrong (unless ya got somthing other than a Hustler or a Dixie). If I were you I would demo them both and put them to the test. Keep us updated.

9. REALSLOW

from FLORIDA

The diesel Hustler wieghs to much 2000 LBS? way to much in my book, I want something I can use on large residentials as well. THe dixie looks like it has a wide stance ,so does it scalp? I want to buy slightly used to get a great deal.

10. REALSLOW

from FLORIDA

How are the 72s about scalping? How bad is fuel economy?