Dixie Chopper owners / operators

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by J.Gordon, Dec 29, 2003.

1. J.Gordon

J.Gordon LawnSite Senior Member

I have read a lot of post about Dixie Chopper being outdated and a has-been. I have seen some pictures of the Dixie’s cut & stripes, I thought they looked fine. As far as the outdated issue, I look at it like this. If it isn’t broke don’t fix it. The machine looks easy to repair and has been around for a while. So what are your likes / dislikes about this machine compared to the others you have or used. Considering you have a great Dealer that sells all brands.

Thanks

Jeff :waving:

2. ProMo

ProMo LawnSite Bronze Member

my dixie is 6yrs old and cuts better than a lot of newer mowers ive seen. I will look at other mowers if this one ever dies but wont hesitate to get another dc. Belts are the only thing Ive ever replaced and it takes about 10 minutes to change. I started with a scag ztr that fell apart at 1000 hrs.

3. gorrell

gorrell LawnSite Senior Member

I've got 4 Dixie Choppers and will soon be purchasing 2 more. DC's are EXTREMELY reliable, and there is not a mower on the market that will stripe any better than a Dixie straight out of the box without additional striping kits. IMHO Maintenance is very, very easily accomplished and as was stated in a previous post any belt on the machine can be changed in 15 minutes or less. Deck bearings can also be changed in approximately the same time, but don't have to be changed very often. All in all a pretty bulletproof machine that will mow 2 foot tall grass or manicure a mansion.................Lynn

4. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

I have a 2001 60" Dixie and I am no where near ready to get rid of it. It has about 1,000 hours on it and it has never been back to the dealer for anything. It even has the original belts on it.

It is, without a doubt in my mind, the best mower for me. It handles everything that Mother Nature could throw at it this year and that was plenty.

5. cclllc

cclllc LawnSite Senior Member

Both of my 1996 models are still going strong with over 2000 hours hours on them.

6. Flex-Deck

Flex-Deck LawnSite Silver Member

Go Dixie Chopper - check out their web page. They are on the cutting edge as far as futuristic mowing designs.