Dixie Chopper Owners

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by dougslawn, Apr 10, 2007.

1. dougslawn

dougslawn LawnSite Member

What type of blades are other dixie chopper owners running on their mowers during the spring to minimize clumping? I have tried the X-blade, the X-blade with a regular lift blade, high lift blades and regular lift blades. I am still getting clumps blowing out of the mower deck. It is a newer Dixie with the silver deck (2005 model). Thanks.

2. lawns Etc

lawns Etc LawnSite Silver Member

You might be taking too much grass off I have Dixies and run single X blades or Exmark Hi lifts and have no problems I hear alot of people talking about clumping but there are probally 75% Dixies around here and no one seems to have issues

3. ProStreetCamaro

ProStreetCamaro LawnSite Platinum Member

Thats interesting. Here in MD I have only ever seen 2 or 3 ever. Its funny that guy is talking about clumping because the one I watched last year on the lawn next to me was clumping like crazy and leaving uncut strips of grass. I was cutting the same deep wet conditions and had zero problems with clumping or anything from our Tank. The guy kept looking over and watching me cut. I bet he was wondering why his looked so bad and mine looked so good. Im not saying they are bad mowers but from what I have seen I am not impressed.

4. prostriper

prostriper LawnSite Senior Member

He was most likely running dull blades. Dixie's have the fastest tip speed which can be good and bad depending on the situation. If you are using the dual blade system try running gators on the top side. I have ran a gator on the discharge side of my Exmark and it has helped a lot during the wet conditions we had last year. So having the gators on the top side would probably make a world of difference with the dual set up.

5. prostriper

prostriper LawnSite Senior Member

He was most likely running dull blades. Dixie's have the fastest tip speed which can be good and bad depending on the situation. If you are using the dual blade system try running gators on the top side. I have ran a gator on the discharge side of my Exmark and it has helped a lot during the wet conditions we had last year. So having the gators on the top side would probably make a world of difference with the dual set up.

6. lawns Etc

lawns Etc LawnSite Silver Member

Thats funny to me I had a M48 Tank and sold it with 30 hrs cause it clumped all over and had bad turf terrage problems. So I guess you have to go with what works for you and your situation

7. ProStreetCamaro

ProStreetCamaro LawnSite Platinum Member

Yeah its really weird how different people have different experiances with equipment. When I very first picked the M48 up it cut like crap. I got on here and talked to Envy about it and he told me to check the deck and see if the dealer set it up right. Well they had it all out of wack so he helped me get it set right and now it cuts just as good as our Lazer does. For me to get any clumps out of it the lawn has to be really deep and super wet then it will spit an occasional clump but every mower will do that in terrible conditions. I havent had any turf tearing issues. No more so than any other mower I have ever used.

8. Mowman16

Mowman16 LawnSite Senior Member

I use gators, they seem to work well. I don't notice clumping on my lawns.

9. dougslawn

dougslawn LawnSite Member

I tried the Exmark 60 notched high lift blades and the problems have gone away. Guess I'll just stick to notched blades in the future.

10. dhardin53

dhardin53 LawnSite Senior Member

Gators magnums her for 3 years now love then on my DC.