1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Dixie Chopper problems!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by FromtheGroundUp, Mar 17, 2008.

1. FromtheGroundUp

FromtheGroundUp LawnSite Member

my dixie sp2800 is fast,smooth, i love the cut and handling of this mower but i have had multiple problems arise under warranty. belts,iddler pully,gas tank problems, starter,left wheel motor crapped out on me. the guys had me in a lowner mower for 5 weeks last season(scag wildcat 61",).anyway to all you other dixie chopper guys how happy are you with your mower. i would like to hear from someone with more than 800-1000hrs on their dixie. not interested in the silver eagle/extream machine opinions.

WREBELMACHINE LawnSite Bronze Member

I have run them for years! And it sounds like you are dealing with the guys in nixa not springfield. They the dixie and the dealer have been very reliable and since you are in springfield you will notice that the bulk of the mowers used are Dixie's.

By the way the SP series mowers were discontinued a couple of years ago!
  4. lawns Etc

lawns Etc LawnSite Silver Member

Still available as a special order I bought one last year that way
  5. kleankutslawn

kleankutslawn LawnSite Bronze Member

I talked to the factory and they said they could transferre some from dealers that had not sold there efi machines but they quite building them two years ago! I was a little bumed about it because I was and am buying six new 72" mowers here in the next couple of weeks! and was going to go with efi choppers!

By the way for the original questions on dixie I have been useing them for 15+yrs and have had many of them over the 5,000hr mark!
  8. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

I have only had a couple of very minor issues with the 2 I've had. I ran the first one to 1300 hours before an excellant deal on a 60" with 28 EFI came my way. I've had no issues with the new one at all in over 600 hours.

BTW, the early (2003) Extreme Mowchines were the same as the later SP models except for the wheel motors.

Sounds like you may have gotten the rare lemon. It happens.
  9. MONTE

MONTE LawnSite Senior Member

I kind of like the new SE hp model nice machine! The extreme machines are popular in springfield as well! I agree with rebel you probably would not have been down more than a day with the Springfield dealer! Unless you did not buy it from him. However the machine you have should have been pretty desireable with the efi on it!

I agree the SEHP is nice looking but if I was buying a new chopper it would be an excalubur!