Dixie Chopper Propane Mowers

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by POPO4995, Jun 8, 2008.

1. POPO4995

POPO4995 LawnSite Bronze Member

I've been looking at mowers lately. Looking to replace my 757 MOD. With Deere's new 800 series sales & production being stopped, I looked at the Dixie Chopper Propane 72" mower. Everything looks pretty cool but just wondering if anyone has any insight into the Dixie's themselves, and is the propane model a good buy or go with diesel or gas...?? Any help is very appreciated!:usflag:
  2. retrodog

retrodog LawnSite Silver Member

I have been considering propane also, right now it is much cheaper in my area. The only downfall I have seen on the Dixies is that they are a little difficult to work on. I hear the Generac engine they use is very well rounded. Bad Boy also has a propane application. Right now they offer a 32hp Vanguard 60" with the propane application, but I saw a prototype the other day of a 37hp Kawasaki with the propane application. I think they are testing and tuning before swapping engine applications. I am up in the air about it. Both brands are around $10999 for the propane, but Bad Boy's Caterpillar diesel is only $11295. I am in a toss up between the Cat and the propane. Diesel gets alot better an hour than gas, but the propane might save me money in the long run. Let me know what you decide to do.
  3. Lawn-Sharks

Lawn-Sharks LawnSite Senior Member

I was trying to see if i could find a conversion kit for my mowers. Has anyone tried that yet???