Dixie Chopper Propane

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Chop Stuff Up, Oct 6, 2006.

1. Chop Stuff Up

Chop Stuff Up LawnSite Senior Member

Anyone tried the propane model yet? any thoughts?

2. Chop Stuff Up

anybody ever seen it?

3. WildWest

WildWest LawnSite Senior Member

Haven't tried it
    Haven't seen it
    Hell, I never even HEARD of it!
    But I wouldn't use it.... I deal with propane forklifts every day. They run just fine and would work just as well as gasoline, but you just can't drive to 7-11 to fill up! And propane fuel tanks run dry at the last few minutes, the gauges aren't very accurate... at least you can look in your gas tank and SEE how much fuel you have.

4. Chop Stuff Up

5. WildWest

That's pretty cool...I just don't see the big advantage, that's all.

Now if you were mowing in an enclosed area, it might make a difference, less carb. monoxide.

6. Liquidfast

Liquidfast LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ontario

I am going to buy one. Not a propane one but a gas one. I am going to put PROPANE stickers all over it. I am then going straight to the beer store and buying two kegs. I am then going to enjoy my job that much more.

THANK YOU DIXIE CHOPPER FOR ALLOWING ME TO CONCEAL MY DRINKING HABIT!

7. WildWest

You might have stumbled onto something there LF!!!!:drinkup:

8. Chop Stuff Up

Looks like turf will be doing a demo, looking forward to seeing it. I'm interested in seeing any cost advantage to it, more reliable, fuel cost, etc. We have a propane fill up right down the street.

9. JeremyM

JeremyM LawnSite Member

Propane sells on average 30% less with the same run time gallon for gallon with gasoline. There are also governement grants/ tax incentives to switch to alternative fuels. The engines will last 2 to 3 times longer like they do in forklift applications. Conversions should pay for themselves in 6 to 8 months.

10. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

Grasshopper has built propane-powered mowers for many years. Recently they qiute offering them. Just not enough market to justify the expense of production.