dixie chopper question

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by hagen, Aug 23, 2002.

1. hagen

hagen LawnSite Member
    from texas

i went and looked at the dixie chopper s burb turbin the one with two 20 horse koler motors on it i really like it but i was wondering if i would be better off with a efi or liquid cooled gas motor and do yall know how much they cost were you live. do you think the two motors means just more stuff to go wrong with it
  2. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Your a confused man lately! At least your open to just about any mower. First you were about to buy a Diesel Lazer cause you NEEDED it, now you want a twin engined Dixie! Thats a pretty big sweep in just a few days!

Anyway..... Lynn Gorrell is an expert on the Dixie twins, I believe he's had a few. I'm sure he'll chime in soon.

I have run one. It was given to me as a loaner when my 25 Kohler on my Dixie was throwing its first or second round of headgaskets (cant remember). Anyway, the mower is a beast! I was used to a 60" mower, and this was too big for most of my route for those two days. Also, the engines throttle levers weren't in sync, and it took a little TLC to get the vacuum gauges just right. But when they were screamin, it was the fastest mower I ever rode on! If my '97 DC Flatlander did 15mph, this Turbin must have been clockin' 18!!

For the most part, theres just another engine and belt, and center pulley bearing/clutch, the rest is just regular DC standard issue.

I think if you NEED a 72" machine, that this will be your least expensive model that will still give you PLEANTY of power and performance for your $.

:cry: Not giving up on the Lazers are ya?

3. hagen

hagen LawnSite Member
    from texas

i like the exmark but i didnt like the dealer and the kind of stuff i am mowing i need the most horsepower i can get and it seems like the dixie chopper has the biggest engine you can get and i feel like the 27 dihatsu diesel is not big enough for the 72'' deck or the 31 dihatsu gas is biggest enough either on the exmark.
  4. Dixie don't have the 40+hp diesel anymore???:confused:

What do you need that much HP for anyways.

I have no problem with my 25hp and 26hp efi Kohlers on 60" decks.