Dixie Chopper Questions

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by logan, May 29, 2005.

1. logan

logan LawnSite Senior Member
    from FL

I just got the 2005 catalog from Dixie Chopper. I am impressed by their machines. I also saw that they have a couple of different lines of mowers like everyone else. What I wondered was the cost difference between them. I know that the options on them will be a factor and the width as well as the horsepower. Basically I am looking for a 60 inch mower with a 27-30hp engine which has the most bang for the buck (so to speak). The Scag Wildcat 61inch 27hp goes for around 8300 here and I was looking for a comparison. If you all can help that would be great. Also for all you Dixie Chopper owners, what don't you like about them.

2. cclllc

cclllc LawnSite Senior Member

I have 2 choppers myself and am very happy with them.They are both '96 models and are still running strong. If I had to upgrade I'd get the 32 hp xtreme.It has the most bang of all the gas powered choppers. i think they run around $9500.00 on avg. Go to their web site and see more details on them.

3. logan

from FL

thank you for your input

4. logan

from FL

Has anyone owned a wildcat 61/27hp or a dixie chopper 60/32 that has any thoughts for either of them on the negative side? I have heard the Wildcat scalps a little but is that all? The Dixie Chopper has a higher center of gravity, but is that all? Your thoughts are very much appreciated.

5. Gautreaux's LNG

Gautreaux's LNG LawnSite Senior Member

Demo a 60" 27 Kohler Super Z, before you decide. Could be a mind changer. They also have a 60" 34 hp Cat diesel. If you want bigger and bad to the bone. good luck, keep us posted

6. bwallen149

bwallen149 LawnSite Member

I have a 2004 scag wildcat, 27-61. I really like it other than a few problems I have had. Nothing major just little stuff, ignition module, interlock module, key switch, leaky head gasket. It, in my opinion has the best finish cut of all the mowers I have tried. I demoed a 27-60 chopper and was not real impressed, actually ran it less that a half hour and decided it was not for me. It did sling the grass a long ways and cut wet grass really well. I also like the easy of servicing them, they are a very simple machine. The OCDC should be standard on every mower. What I did not like about it compared to the wildcat. You sit up very high, hard to get under limbs, and will not hold a hill at all. The parking brake would not keep it still on the trailer, maybe just needed adjusted, but I scratched the paint off the back bumper when it slid into the mesh gate. The heel/toe deck raise is hard to use, I had trouble "floating" the deck over stuff and getting it back to the same height. The dixie has no floor pan were your feet go. I use this spot for trash and with no lip around the edge I was picking up the same piece of trash multiple times. I was not at all impressed with the tires, They seemed to really tear up the turf, but still did not have much grip. I also did not like the VTC controls, they are extremly quick, but that I could get used to. It seamed to really discharge grass well, but did not cut it up very fine, therefore it seemed to lay on top worse than the scag. Please don't think I am Dixie bashing, they work for alot of people around here, there are more dixies than anything else in these parts. I aso demoed the 27-60 super Z, I think that will be my next mower, although I wish the finish cut was a litlle better. I would say demo everything your interesed in and then decide.

7. logan

from FL

thank you so much, that gives me something to work with besides my mower is the best around. I know that I need to demo it before I buy it, so thanks for helping me with things to look for.