1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

dixie chopper rubbing lift gate on trailer

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by BOBSTER31, Aug 29, 2001.

1. BOBSTER31

BOBSTER31 LawnSite Member

I am in the middle of buying a 2001 chopper. I took a demo out the other day for a test run and i love it. I was having problems with it rubbing my lift gate as i was pulling off and on the trailer. I have a 17 foot trailer. Has anyone had this problem before? I thought about raising the deck after i get the dc to clear the gate or welding a block of metal on the end of the gate to lesson the pitch of the gate. Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks Bob
  2. Esby

Esby LawnSite Senior Member

I think you are on the right track by adjusting the gate. Extending it to a longer length would also help this problem. I would advise away from altering your dixie, it just could lead to more problems. I like the idea of putting blocks under the gate, just as long as they aren't too high.
  3. Is your trailer hitch a ball or a pintle ring? Is your truck mount adjustable? See if you can lower the hitch on your trailer, and raise the hitch on your truck.
  4. EJK2352

EJK2352 LawnSite Bronze Member

I had a problem w/ a mower getting hung up on the gate like you are having. I added a foot to the gate and it solved the problem. :) :( :) ED
  5. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

you might want to lay a couple 2by 6 down so the front castors cross them at the point where the deck is scraping. simple but it works.
  6. Turf Cutters

Turf Cutters LawnSite Member

I use a 4x4 block under each corner of the gate to get the DC on and off. I haven't hung it up since I started using the blocks.
  7. cclllc

cclllc LawnSite Senior Member

i have had the same prob.at one time or another depending on the terain.i have had to litterly pop a weelie go get it loaded.those dc's ride weelies pretty good too.just don't make it a habit.oh one more thing the striping chains got caught in the gate too.that was a mess.
  8. BOBSTER31

BOBSTER31 LawnSite Member

Thanks for your replys i think i might try to extend the trailer gate a little with a metal plate

9. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping LawnSite Silver Member

why dont you put the two blocks on each side of the gate, then make another little ramp that folds up like on enclosed trailers. i bet this would solve the problem great.
  10. Likestomow

Likestomow LawnSite Senior Member

I have the same problem with my 60” dragging on the tailgate. The problem is occurring because my tailgate had bent from the weight of the DC going up and down. I must have a 2” sag in my tailgate, thus causing the deck to drag. It’s aggravating and to solve the problem temporarily I have put a piece of sheet metal across the top of the tailgate where it meets the trailer.

This winter I am going to saw little slits in the side rails of the tailgate to and bend it to have about a 3” bow (instead of a sag) and then weld it back up. I’ve seen other tailgates made this way and I think it is a good design.